PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] adjusted monitor settings, now cannot boot

gas.man
April 8th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Help!

I'm running 9.10 on a vaio laptop, all working well for some time.

I am giving a presentation tomorrow and plugged in a second monitor to check settings. As part of this I adjusted the resolution of the laptop screen to 1280xsomething, and was asked to logout/login. The computer froze after logging out, with an "updating cups.." or similar message on the screen.

Powered down, and now unable to boot properly.

On power-up I get grub loading message, then the splash screen/logo. Then screen goes black apart from an underscore in the top left corner. I get a very quick flash of:

Ubuntu ****_laptop tty1

Login:

This happens about 5 times, then it's a black screen with the non-blinking underscore. Machine appears dead to all keypresses.

I am giving this presentation tomorrow and didn't back up to a memory stick yet - that was the next task :-(

HELP!!!!

gas.man
April 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Update: not much help, but if I hit any F.. key during the boot, I get a flashed message of /dev/sda1 clean ...... then the tty1/login message. Then......nothing.

gas.man
April 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Managed to get to rescue mode by a miracle.

Errors running xinit, so decided this was problem. Solution if others have same problem:

Ran X -configure as root to create the configuration file xorg.conf.new, and copied to the default location /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Re-boot. Hold breath. Everything fine :-)