PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] won't recognize CD drive

apsoul
April 8th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I am a new linux user without much knowledge of the "inner workings" of the system. I was trying to install a distro to my intel p4 1.8Ghz (wiliamette unfortunately) computer. I had downloaded and burned many different iso's to try and install linux with (greenie, openSuse, xubuntu, ubuntu, mandriva, damn small linux) The only one that worked directly from the CD was damn small linux. (my assumption is that it was small enough to run entirely from the ram thus negating the need to access the cd).
I would be able to boot off of the cd to the first screen with the "run live, install, memtest etc" menu, but whenever i tried to run live, or install, the kernel would load, the screen would change then i would get error message along the lines of "can't access live data".

I eventually used unetbtin.exe program within windows to install Ubuntu 9.10 with very much success. It is running quite smoothly with dedicated gpu and wireless internet card however I can't get access my cd drive. As stated the drive works fine when in windows xp. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated