PDA

View Full Version : Lucid reverting back to Google search

sudoer541
April 7th, 2010, 11:46 PM
good news (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/ubuntu-1004-drops-yahoo-will-use-google.html) folks!!!!!

Chame_Wizard
April 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Much better.:lolflag:

Ric_NYC
April 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you... Thank you... Thank you!

dragos240
April 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hehe. We got our fav. search engine back :).

themarker0
April 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I'm happier about it now :D

blur xc
April 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I considered that a non-issue, myself. It only takes a few seconds to change your default search engine.

BM

JDShu
April 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Isn't this lost revenue though?

sudoer541
April 8th, 2010, 12:27 AM

I have the same question!!!

tgalati4
April 8th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I always thought that it was strange for Ubuntu to use Yahoo for search when Yahoo has dismantled it's search operations and now have an agreement with Microsoft to use Bing! Which means MS is indirectly paying an open source operating system to use a closed-source search engine. I think most ubuntu folks prefer Google search results over Bing! anyway and switching is not difficult.

Somebody ring the bell:

Bing!

blueshiftoverwatch
April 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I think Ubuntu should use Scroogle (http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm).

Reasons:
1. It gives you the same exact search results of Google, which is the best search engine to date.
2. But it does so while protecting your privacy.
3. It automatically highlights the each word you search for with a different color. Making finding relevant searches easier.

Lightstar
April 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy
a company that actually hears when the people speak.
I heart<3 Ubuntu

Rainulf
April 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I think they should use Bing. I'm interested on how people would react.
:popcorn:

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 8th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I thought the added revenue was a good idea. Open firefox, click the down arrow on the search bar, choose Google.

Time required: 2 seconds to permanently change search default & homepage!

swoll1980
April 8th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Maybe they made a deal with yahoo for the development release only. Who knows.

Luke has no name
April 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Which means MS is indirectly paying an open source operating system to use a closed-source search engine. I think most ubuntu folks prefer Google search results over Bing! anyway and switching is not difficult.

Google's search engine is open-source? Sweet! Link me.

Also,

Have you gotten a Bing account and searched there for a few days? The only reason Google is so good for me is because it knows the context of my searches due to logging my queries (not the best for the privacy-concerned users).

Paqman
April 8th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Presumably Google are now giving Canonical a better deal than they had before, and better than Yahoo. So no, this is probably increased revenue.

Lightstar
April 8th, 2010, 05:13 AM

I would get fired for not saying BING :(
like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

Riffer
April 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Since I don't either Yahoo or Google it wasn't a biggie for me. Though because of this thread I found out that you can add more search engines to the search bar. Where you click to change search engines there is a button to "manage", click there and you can add all sorts of engines.

-humanaut-
April 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Oh man I kind of think that sucks, Basically gaining revenue from yahoo would've had Microsoft paying for Ubuntu how sweet would that've been?

phibxr
April 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I've never been a fan of Yahoo to begin with. Actually, I've never really used any of their products.

Google, on the other hand, while I don't agree with everything they do, I use their products on a daily basis.

So, yes, I'm quite pleased with Ubuntu reverting back to Google. :)

Nickedynick
April 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I always thought the Yahoo decision was odd, considering that Canonical and Google have been working so closely with Chrome OS, and that Google actively supports open source.

blur xc
April 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I would get fired for not saying BING :(
like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

ROTFLMAO... Good stuff... I wonder if any of it could be true- I can only wish...

BM

Khakilang
April 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
No big deal. You an always default it to Google or any search engine you like.

elewton
April 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thank goodness!

I've installed Ubuntu on a number of friends' computers. The main reason they like it is that it's not the store-brand poor man's alternative, as Yahoo is to Google.

Letting them see me switching from Yahoo to Google would just look so naff. Like Ubuntu couldn't afford Google, but had the next best thing.

alexfish
April 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM

No explanation require as to how good or how ignorant BING as a search engine is

Screen shot below

alexfish
April 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Edit Double Post

??????????

themarker0
April 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
No explanation require as to how good or how ignorant BING as a search engine is

Screen shot below

You were searching in "news"

whiskeylover
April 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Screen shot below

You were searching in "news"

Lol... Busted!