PDA

View Full Version : Game Console Market Share

jonathonblake
April 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
All:

I recently read a blog that claimed that the iPhone was taking market share from gaming consoles. The data it was based on was revenue from games. IOW, software, not hardware.

I tried to Google for game console hardware marketshare, but came up with null results. Lots of data on manufacturers claiming to have shipped "x" units the previous day/month/year/whatever. Granted, I'm not a gamer, but when a company that I've never heard of claims to have shipped a billion units the previous year, I'm a little suspicious of their claim.

Does any "independent" organization publish semi-reliable data about game console market share?

Basically, I'm looking for this data to determine the feasibility of WinMo 7 surviving Android's take over of the Mobile Device market.

jonathon

madjr
April 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
All:

I recently read a blog that claimed that the iPhone was taking market share from gaming consoles. The data it was based on was revenue from games. IOW, software, not hardware.

I tried to Google for game console hardware marketshare, but came up with null results. Lots of data on manufacturers claiming to have shipped "x" units the previous day/month/year/whatever. Granted, I'm not a gamer, but when a company that I've never heard of claims to have shipped a billion units the previous year, I'm a little suspicious of their claim.

Does any "independent" organization publish semi-reliable data about game console market share?

Basically, I'm looking for this data to determine the feasibility of WinMo 7 surviving Android's take over of the Mobile Device market.

jonathon

i saw some news about it not too long ago, maybe i can find it.

actually am not sure winMO will regain much, many of the big players are alienated against it (thats why symbianOS was created long ago and now android took it's place)

also they're a tad late

even the next console wars will be a bit less about graphics and more about new creative ways to play

J_Stanton
April 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
are you sure you know how to google? here you go: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-360-ps3-wii,news-6314.html

jonathonblake
April 8th, 2010, 12:36 AM
are you sure you know how to google?

I'd like to think I know how to search Google, but considering that for most searches I do, I start getting relevant results at around the 1 000th listing.

BTW, the page you gave is roughly the 170th to come up.

Hmm, same search terms, but a different Google portal, and it doesn't show up in the first 250 listings.

jonathon

J_Stanton
April 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'd like to think I know how to search Google, but considering that for most searches I do, I start getting relevant results at around the 1 000th listing.

BTW, the page you gave is roughly the 170th to come up.

Hmm, same search terms, but a different Google portal, and it doesn't show up in the first 250 listings.

jonathon

i don't know what search terms you used, but it was 3rd on my search. it's all in what search terms you use, which i'm very good at. keep practicing my friend.

jonathonblake
April 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
i don't know what search terms you used,

You appear to have missed the fact that the same search terms, on two different google portals, provided results that were roughly fifty listings apart.

IOW, the issue isn't only with the search terms that are used.

jonathon