PDA

View Full Version : Can I install Ubuntu CE on Xubuntu?

Cityscape
April 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I have Xubuntu but I want the Ubuntu CE stuff (Dansgaurdian, linbread, Xiphos). Can I install the ubuntu-ce package to make it Xubuntu CE? It won't install GNOME or KDE will it?

stlsaint
April 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM
You can add the UCE reposistory from the UCE website and just install whatever packages you want although i think that most of the packages come native in a ubuntu install.

Cityscape
April 7th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I've heard that it is very difficult to download dansguardin from synaptic and configure the same as in Ubuntu CE. Why can't I install the whole CE package? Does it install GNOME or KDE?

david_kt
April 8th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I've heard that it is very difficult to download dansguardin from synaptic and configure the same as in Ubuntu CE. Why can't I install the whole CE package? Does it install GNOME or KDE?

It should not install GNOME of KDE. Just follow the conversion steps.

DK

Cityscape
April 8th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Okay, what are the conversion steps?

david_kt
April 8th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Okay, what are the conversion steps?

Check it here:

http://www.ubuntuce.com/convert.htm

DK

Cityscape
April 8th, 2010, 01:23 AM
It says its for converting "standard Ubuntu to Ubuntu CE". Will it still work for Xubuntu or Kubuntu?

david_kt
April 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
It says its for converting "standard Ubuntu to Ubuntu CE". Will it still work for Xubuntu or Kubuntu?

It will work for xubuntu dan kubuntu. But for kubuntu, it will install more packages as zenity is not in kubuntu. Xubuntu comes with zenity.

DK

fredbird67
July 19th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Can this also be done with other distros that are based on Debian but not Ubuntu? In my case, I'm using CrunchBang Statler Xfce edition, mainly because it automatically detects the wireless in my laptop (one of those pesky Broadcom wireless cards) and Ubuntu doesn't. Since the Lord convicted me about some of the things I'd been watching on YouTube a little over a year ago, I've been wanting a good means of filtering that will work smoothly with CrunchBang.

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis

Sef
July 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Necromancing. Please start a new thread and link to here. Thank you.