PDA

View Full Version : cannot find headers - vmware-server

z0rt3p
April 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Guys,

Newb here.. I am trying to install vmware-server 2. I have followed the steps on; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Server/AMD64

The problem I am facing is with installing the linux-headers. Here is the output of what happens.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xinetd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
Package linux-headers-2.6.24-23-server is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package linux-headers-2.6.24-23-server has no installation candidate

I am running ubuntu 8.04 AMD 64.

Here is my `uname -r`

2.6.24-23-server

Please help!

deracled
April 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
You can try installing "linux-headers-server" package that should resolve to the currently used kernel and as a bonus you will automatically get the new headers with a new kernel installation.

Doros

HermanAB
April 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
When all else fails, install the kernel source, compile and install the kernel, then reboot. After that, the whole software development environment is guaranteed to be correct and VMware will install.

Since I am forever tinkering, I always compile the kernel and then I have no problems from then on after.

z0rt3p
April 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
When all else fails, install the kernel source, compile and install the kernel, then reboot. After that, the whole software development environment is guaranteed to be correct and VMware will install.

Since I am forever tinkering, I always compile the kernel and then I have no problems from then on after.

Thanks.. I ended up upgrading to 2.6.24-24-server and everything worked perfectly after that.

Can anyone explain why
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xinetd wasnt working out of the box? This was a fresh install...

Thanks again guys!

apitsos
July 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hello everyone!

I am sorry my stupid question, but I am pretty newbie on Ubuntu Server systems and I am facing EXACTLY the same problem, as I am trying to install VMware Server 2 on Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS (hardy) 64-bit.

Could you please let me know how to compile and install step-by-step the kernal, as HermanAB advised?

Again, excuse me for the "stupid" question, but I tried to find a way to do it. I used the directions from the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile, but with no luck... :-(

Looking forward for your kind help!

Thanks a lot in advance.

z0rt3p
July 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
I cant remember what I did to save my life... but my terminal does :)

Try this...

sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.24-24-server

apitsos
July 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hello z0rt3p!

Thank you very much for your reply. This installed the headers as expected. It is created a new directory:
/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-server

After that, I gave the path "/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-server" to the installation wizard of VMware Server 2, where it says:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /lib/modules/2.6.24-24-server

But it returns again:

The path "/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-server" is an existing directory, but it does
not contain a "linux" subdirectory as expected.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot again for your time!

Best regards,
Angelos Pitsos

z0rt3p
July 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Do this... then reboot and start the vmware installer again.

[CODE]sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.24-24-server[CODE]

apitsos
July 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am doing this right now. What to give on that step as path, if the wizard ask me again?

z0rt3p
July 3rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
run
uname -r and post your output.

apitsos
July 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hey!

That worked like a charm! Thank you so much for your kind help! hopefully not to have any problem after that...

You are brilliant!

Best regards,
Angelos Pitsos

z0rt3p
July 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome!

Enjoy the vmware server - ubuntu server duo... Its a great setup once its running.

apitsos
July 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Great! I know it. I was working with this for more than 4 months, but an unexpected power shut down on my computer room made my system completely crashed.

From this, unfortunately I lost my virtual machines and the system, too, as it never started properly again. I tried to fix it or even to backup the virtual machines, but unfortunately I couldn't, so I had to format the hard drive and install everything from the beginning.

I remember that I spent 3 days to make this system up and running, as I am following instructions and posts, because I am not a unix user! I hope you understand how difficult was for me to setup this.

Hopefully I am a systems administrator (Windows of course) and I belong to the "IT family", so that makes me keep trying (always)!

Anyway, I would like to thank you once again. Your instructions were just what I was needing!

I wish you all the best.

Angelos Pitsos