PDA

View Full Version : Working around nvidia driver install problems on Lucid Beta 2

rliegh
April 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi. I had a smooth experience with Lucid/i386 when I ran the beta 1 cd, installing the proprietary nvidia drivers went smoothly.

However, when I downloaded and installed the amd64 version of Beta 2, I was unable to install the proprietary drivers. Both times I kept getting an error that it was unable to complete the installation, and to check /var/log/jockey.log

When I would restart, I would be thrown into console mode -but running startx or gdm manually would work.

Checking the logs, it appeared that the nvidia kernel module wasn't loading.

This is a complete hack, but it got my system working. I googled to find out if other people had this problem. I read that either the nouveau and/or the vga16fb modules interfered with the nvidia module loading.

I ran the System->hardware drivers wizard again and it failed again. Then I added the following to my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
vga16fb
nouveau

and ran

update-initramfs -u

And now the nvidia driver shows up as being installed, and X works just fine.

I'm not sure what the right thing to do was, but for now, this works (for me).

Lutin
April 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that, got my system back working properly.

Only blacklisted vga16fb and nouveau, forgot the other step - update-initramfs -u

But the system is now happy with the nVidia driver again.

Thanks

naudster
April 8th, 2010, 02:27 AM
thanks a lot rliegh for these clear instructions. This thread came up second in a google search, so my nvidia problem was very quickly and easily resolved.

tokyobadger
April 8th, 2010, 03:07 AM
@OP: out of interest, do you have a link for that Beta 2 ISO?

trulan
April 8th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the tip! I had the nvidia drivers working here, and yesterday's updates broke them. I wasn't expecting that since I don't think there were any nvidia related updates, but blacklisting nouveau and vga16fb got things working again. Might as well blacklist nouveau here - when I boot the live cd, or boot a fresh install, my screen just says goodbye and powers off. Ubuntu has never liked my video card...but it's workable, and thanks again for the work-around!

rliegh
April 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM
@OP: out of interest, do you have a link for that Beta 2 ISO?

You can find the link in this thread -> Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2 ISO Testing (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1447973):guitar:

I'm happy to have helped. :)

tokyobadger
April 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
weird - I just posted a reply to say thanks and it's not there...

SilverWave
April 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the workaround this was bugging me.

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Added to bottom of list:
vga16fb
nouveau

I then installed recommended driver.

The wizard downloaded and installed then reported an error
[Lucid] Jockey gives message that it failed to install nvidia hardware driver (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/552653)

I rebooted and all is working :D

dannyboy79
April 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the workaround this was bugging me.

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Added to bottom of list:
vga16fb
nouveau

I then installed recommended driver.

The wizard downloaded and installed then reported an error
[Lucid] Jockey gives message that it failed to install nvidia hardware driver (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/552653)

I rebooted and all is working :D
the above worked excellent for me also! hurray

CoolGoose
April 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
You rock!

zenarcher
April 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM
And, I'll add my thanks for your tip! Worked great for me, as well!

Cheers,
zenarcher

chriss
April 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi,

i installed the nvidia-current driver, too.

But the bootsplash of ubuntu doesn't come with the resolution of my display. Instead of 1280x1024 it shows perhaps 640x480...

Is there a workaround?

zenarcher
April 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi,

i installed the nvidia-current driver, too.

But the bootsplash of ubuntu doesn't come with the resolution of my display. Instead of 1280x1024 it shows perhaps 640x480...

Is there a workaround?

This worked for me.....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1446132&highlight=zenarcher

Cheers,
zenarcher

nackless
April 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi, i tried the above solution but i am still getting the problem.. Seemingly i am able to install the driver but it is not working.. Compositing is not working and when i try to change the appearance settings to extra, it stops responding. the window just freezes..

cariboo907
April 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Try running:

nvidia-xconfig

at the prompt, to see if that helps.

nackless
April 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
tried nvidia-xconfig.. Get following response

nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

ERROR: Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'.

a-user
April 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
ofocurse you must run it as root. do "sudo nividia-xconfig"

Eddie Wilson
April 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Don't know if this will be useful or not but after a fresh install of beta 2 I was going to install the nVidia driver and started the restricted drivers application The application said that the driver was already installed. I knew it wasn't. I clicked the remove button and after that the restricted drivers application offered to install and activate the nVidia driver. I chose install and everything worked properly. I'm not sure what happened. It could have even been something I did.

GigEther
April 17th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Don't know if this will be useful or not but after a fresh install of beta 2 I was going to install the nVidia driver and started the restricted drivers application The application said that the driver was already installed. I knew it wasn't. I clicked the remove button and after that the restricted drivers application offered to install and activate the nVidia driver. I chose install and everything worked properly. I'm not sure what happened. It could have even been something I did.

This worked for me. Excellent!