PDA

View Full Version : Failure in Ubuntu 10.04 from Xubuntu 9.10

Zarsen
April 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hello..
I have Windows XP with a dual-boot of Xubuntu 9.10.
ATI Radeon 2400 (I think) series graphics.
Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor.
2GB RAM.

I recently upgraded to the dev release of Ubuntu 10.04 using 'update-manager -d' as instructed on the beta page. It seemed like all was going well except for two failures around the end of the upgrade:

The /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.721-0ubuntu7_i386.deb package may not be in a working state.
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
and

fglrx may not be in a working state.
No package named 'fglrx' is installed, cannot configure.
Also, while looking at the terminal view of the upgrade, I saw a few of these in the scrolling:

Unable to load Gnome.. (is libgnome2-perl installed?)

After it all "finished" I believe it said the upgrade could not be completed and will now abort (or something to that effect), even though those two errors stated that the upgrade would still continue, lol.

I'm still pretty inexperienced with Linux, but I try not to mess with things too much and follow instructions as they're given, as well as doing some research before initiating a new process. And I'm quite clueless as to what those errors mean.

I've since restarted my machine and now see two bootable Ubuntu groups, 2.6.32-19 and 2.6.31-14, whereas before it was one group of Xubuntu. My desktop looks the same on both groups, and the only apparent difference was a change of the shutdown (and quick flash of startup) logo/screen, which graphics were horrendous..

So, due to these failures, I'm wondering how I can resolve the issue or if I should do a clean install of the dev release using an ISO, or if I should simply downgrade back to my original Xubuntu 9.10 (which for me doesn't seem so simple).

Sorry for the noob post :p and thanks for your time.

Mark Phelps
April 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Since 10.04 is still in Beta, you really should not be messing with it at this time. Like all beta versions, it's buggy and unstable. And, unfortunately, there is no one-click method to go back to the stable system you had before.

To resolve the 10.04 problems, you should be looking in the beta testing forum: Development & Programming, Lucid Lynx Testing.

I will be asking the Mods to move this thread there for you. Look the for replies and other information.

philinux
April 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thread Moved to Lucid Testing forum.