PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server keeps rebooting

yukomato
April 7th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I have a compaq ML370 G3 server with 2 SCSI 73G and 2 SCSI 146G. I am trying to install server 9.10, on this server. Installation went OK. Got some problem with RAID configuring but passed after X retry installation. I have spend lots og hour configuring web and mail, but suddentlig yesterday my server start rebooting automatic nad keeps rebooting. I have to shut it down.
I wonder that there is another way to fix it do i have to installed it again.

I also wonder that maybe i can installer this server as Windows 2003 with virtual pc or vmware, so i can installed ubuntu server on virtual. Is that a good thing do ?? I can always backup the hole ubuntu server, that i don't need to reinstall all the time.

I also wonder install ubuntu on PC with sata disk without RAID, because the server make a lots of noice. It that a good way to do.

It's lots of question. I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lots.

tgalati4
April 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Sounds like older hardware that has developed a problem. Could be RAID/disk problem. Try pulling drives and only install on one drive. See if it's stable.

Running ubuntu on top of windows server makes little sense if you have a hardware problem.

Servers are noisy by design. Put in a closet.

KB1JWQ
April 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'd boot into recovery mode and check the logs in /var/log/ and dmesg.

It should be giving some indication as to what's dying.

deracled
April 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Proliant servers usually come with ASR, that will reboot (reset) the machine if it detects a hang due to hardware malfunction. Make sure your hardware is sane perhaps by running HP diagnostics or check if memory is seated properly and it's contacts are clean.

Here's a related post that says to update the machine BIOS to fix it!

https://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1270720363548+28 353475&threadId=803534

Doros