PDA

View Full Version : [other] Strange Clicking Sound coming from the Laptop

jorl17
April 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hello all.

As a note, I'm very upset with the recent Ubuntu updates. Anything past 8.10 has murdered all my Ubuntu installations rendering most of them unusable in terms of audio.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 in an Asus X50GL laptop. Ubuntu 8.10 was amazing here and since I upgraded to 8.10 I've had issues with everything audio-related. However, what I'm about to report doesn't seem to be related to sound.

Yesterday I installed the following packages:

linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.31-16-generic
I then removed them since they rendered audio into an unusable state.

Today I turned my laptop on and found out that it is emitting very strange noises coming from the case itself. They sound like electricity bursts or very short static bursts and they are really annoying.

They always come from within the computer itself (i.e.: Not from the headphones); they happen with or without headphones plugged in and with or without the power cord inside it. They also seem to only be heard when a new window is opened or maximized or minimized -- in general, it is heard when there is a graphical update.

I would like to know if you could help me debug this issue, because I am unsure if it is related to any of the changes I made. It is really getting on my nerves and I'm afraid it might be something related to power and that might toast me alive.

Googling, I found the following related URLs:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1235190
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-184873.html

They seem *related* but they do not accurately describe my problem. I only hear this sound for about half a second and it doesn't happen when I move windows around (it hasn't happened, at least), nor does it happen if I leave glxgears running open. It also varies in terms of intensity (it can be louder...or not).

I DO have the nvidia drivers installed from the nvidia page, but I've had them for ages and never heard this annoying clicking sound.

I've also tried recording it with my microphone via audacity, but never managed to hear it while it was recording. Maybe high CPU usage can prevent this? (htop showed audacity eating up 77% CPU).

I would very much like to solve this issue, or at least be assured that my laptop won't fry me to death.

One more description of the sound: Similar to what happens when two headphones touch each other in an input jack, or when you plug in the microphone.

Thanks, please help me out here, as I am willing to give any assistance I can,

Jorl17

Edit: It simply went away. I can't remember what I did, since this problem was fixed around six months ago. I must say I am very displeased with the Ubuntu community.