PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Accessign Files On Ext3 Hard Drive

ManInKogneto
April 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Good Morning All,

First of all I want to say I am new to linux in general. So please be patient. I was wondering if you lot could help me. I have a NAS the "IB-NAS4220-B" which uses a small version on linux. It formats hard drives to ext2/3 & FAT32 (obviously...). My issue is the NAS has issues mounting the hard drive (which doesn't bother me so much). My problem is I want to back up the contents.

Some things to know:

- I can access the hard drive in windows with the ext drivers

www.fs-driver.org/ - I can access the hard drive in Ubuntu.
- I can write to the hard drive in Ubuntu.
- I can read (play music / view videos) from the hard drive in Ubuntu.
- I can delete some folders & files.
- When plugged into SATA the hard some files and folders cannot be seen.
- When plugged into USB some of these can be seen.
- It will let me copy some folders & file through Ubuntu.

The main issue:

- Some folders won't copy across as it says I do not have permission to copy from this hard drive.
- Sometimes it says I do not have enough space to copy to (when copying a 100GB folder to an empty 1TB hard drive....)

From what I understand I need to gain root access to the hard drive. Is this guaranteed if I am logged in as root (is that the correct terminology?). Is it possible my NAS has set user names and passwords to certain files and folders? I set up a hierarchy of users with permissions to access different folders off the nas. Can I somehow log onto the hard drive with these usernames and passwords? Or is that completely irrelevant?

Thank you in advance.

ManInKogneto
April 7th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I know everyone hates a bumber but can anyone shine some light on this?