PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Indicator Applet gmail without evolution

zoff_ita
April 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi, I would like to use my GMail account with the new indicator applet.

I couldn't figure out how to use it without evolution, is there any way?

I'm not interested in any other solution, so please don't suggest me gmail-notify and similar...
I've got my way to use gmail but i would prefer to find one to use the indicator applet...

Thanks in advance,
- Zoff -

cpmman
April 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM
cgmail from synaptic.

zoff_ita
April 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
cgmail from synaptic.

Reading the package description there is no reference to indicator applet, it simply use libnotify to use system notifications.

It's not what I'm looking for but exactly what I ask to don't suggest me:

I'm not interested in any other solution, so please don't suggest me gmail-notify and similar...
I've got my way to use gmail but i would prefer to find one to use the indicator applet...

Atermoon
April 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM
So basically you are looking for a way to see your unread messages inside the messaging menu (where Empathy, Evolution, Pidgin, etc are) instead of having another icon?

zoff_ita
April 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM
So basically you are looking for a way to see your unread messages inside the messaging menu (where Empathy, Evolution, Pidgin, etc are) instead of having another icon?

Reductive but correct, yes.

joey-elijah
April 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
GMail Notify (gm-notify) uses the indicator applet.

zoff_ita
April 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
One of the GMail applications in the software centre uses the indicator applet... I'll go find out which.

It would be awesome! Keep me updated!

joey-elijah
April 7th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Edited post above as well - it is GMail Notify (gm-noitfy)

http://www.ohloh.net/p/gm-notify

zoff_ita
April 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Edited post above as well - it is GMail Notify (gm-noitfy)

http://www.ohloh.net/p/gm-notify

It looks very outdated... Last build on launchpad is almost 2years old...

How can it be integrated in lucid new indicator applet?

joey-elijah
April 7th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Last release was less than a year ago ;)

Project states that it is :

A simple and lightweight highly Ubuntu 9.04 integrated GMail Notifier which takes advantages of the new and nice notify-osd and indicator-applet. Because of this it will not run with older Ubuntu versions.

It's also used in the design mock-ups for the messaging menu in Lucid as an example of 3rd party applications that use the applet.

zoff_ita
April 7th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Last release was less than a year ago ;)

Project states that it is :

A simple and lightweight highly Ubuntu 9.04 integrated GMail Notifier which takes advantages of the new and nice notify-osd and indicator-applet. Because of this it will not run with older Ubuntu versions.

It's also used in the design mock-ups for the messaging menu in Lucid as an example of 3rd party applications that use the applet.

Well, you were right.
Last release was in december 2009 but they didn't build deb package.

Anyway in current sources there is a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/gm-notify/+bug/433412) with lucid indicator applet, I had to change a line in python script to get it work.

It seems to be working now, thanks!