PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Desktop Environments

BrokenKingpin
April 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
What do you think the future of the current desktop environments are? I personally see a lot of uncertainty for some of the DE's, and it is hard to predict which one I will be using in the not too distant future.

GNOME: I am currently a gnome user because it has always been stable and has a good feature set, while staying lighter than KDE. I also like most of the default configuration, but would like to see more configuration options. That being said I don't think I like where Gnome 3 is heading. It just doesn't look like the way I would manage my desktop, but I will reserve judgment on it until it is released. I have been considering moving to another DE (XFCE) now to avoid this huge change when Gnome 3 drops.

KDE: I could never really get into KDE. I tried KDE 4.2 when it was released and I liked it a lot better than the 3.x series, and the initial 4.0 release, but not enough to keep me from using Gnome. I find it too heavy and takes to long to configure to my liking. I like how configurable it is, I just don't like how it is managed. I do find it the best looking DE out of the box. If they focus on ease of configuration and making it less resource intensive I would give it a further look.

XFCE: I recently starting playing with XFCE and was pleasantly surprised at how complete a DE it is. I always assumed being one of the "lightweight" DE's/WM's that it wouldn't have such as complete set of features. I am really considering switching to this as my primary DE. It seems to be catching up to Gnome in a lot of ways, while keeping a lightweight base. My only concern is the speed of development. With the lack of development recourses recently I wonder if they will be able to keep up with the other DE's as time goes on.

LXDE: I have yet to try this, but it is starting to sound promising. I plan on looking into this one a bit more, but I think it will take a bit more time to really compete with the bigger DE's. It is supposed to be lighter than XFCE, but I question how much faster it is in everyday use.

kaldor
April 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Love Gnome, but hate it at the same time. Oddly enough it's my main DE.

KDE 4 is wonderful, but not stable enough for me to use. And whenever I do use it, I keep thinking Windows.

XFCE is wonderful, but it looks too much like something out of the early 2000's unless you mod it to death.

LXDE was a useless and broken DE when I tried it last year. Didn't work. Period. At all.

I can only really see Gnome and KDE going far. XFCE will be for the more technical users (not because it's hard, but because it isn't prominent. LXDE for older comps. WMs like flux etc for the advanced/tinker users, etc.

texaswriter
April 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM
And whenever I do use it, I keep thinking Windows.

Who had widgets first... Windows or KDE?

I think KDE has always been much closer to what Vista/7 BECAME... So, I would say, Whenever I use Windows, I keep thinking KDE... Just my opinion though.

As far as the OP: I used Gnome and Compiz,... I use compiz on all of Linux distro's because I've gotten used to it. Compiz on Gnome used to constantly have problems with Window placement... at least with my configuration.

Under KDE, I do not have this problem with Compiz with the same configuration. It's not that hard to configure, just more getting used to different utilities and arrangement.

I prefer KDE now. :guitar::popcorn:

kaldor
April 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM

I think KDE has always been much closer to what Vista/7 BECAME... So, I would say, Whenever I use Windows, I keep thinking KDE... Just my opinion though.

As far as the OP: I used Gnome and Compiz,... I use compiz on all of Linux distro's because I've gotten used to it. Compiz on Gnome used to constantly have problems with Window placement... at least with my configuration.

Under KDE, I do not have this problem with Compiz with the same configuration. It's not that hard to configure, just more getting used to different utilities and arrangement.

I prefer KDE now. :guitar::popcorn:

I don't mean widgets etc.. I mean the default appearance. Windows 7 took influence from KDE4 for sure, but look at it a bit. The default layout in KDE is highly influenced by Windows.

MooPi
April 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
As more people learn about and experiment with Linux the diversity of the DE will explode. Every user wants a special place they can call their own and Linux provides a great platform for customization. I've used KDE Gnome, Fluxbox and now Openbox. The last two aren't actual DE but window managers but they create a distinct desktop. I see diversity blossoming.

lovinglinux
April 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I switched to KDE when the first releases of gnome-shell were available. I didn't like it and I wanted Compiz really bad.

Now I'm running KDE 4.4 for some time, without Compiz. It is working great. I never looked back to Gnome. KDE 4.4 is awesome.

Roasted
April 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
While I would argue KDE is making some excellent moves in the right direction, even with KDE 4.3, I still ran into some weird quirks that warranted me having to use an alternative as my main DE. My big thing was how strange it was that Ubuntu with pulse audio was easily more stable and predictable than Kubuntu without pulse audio.

I think Gnome has some very solid roots, and they tend to play their cards nicely. While I'm interested in Gnome Shell, the more I use it the more I feel it's somewhat cumbersome. However, I don't want to judge yet. I've talked to the GS developers and they have a lot of refining they want to do and they seem to have a lot of confidence and passion in making this project work. Having said that, I'll keep the faith and see what their final release brings.

LXDE is very interesting, but I can't really comment on it because I have not used it extensively enough just yet. XFCE is in the same boat, however I liked what I saw for what little time I ran XFCE.

But at the end of the day, I still look at KDE and think they're playing a catch up game. And while they are doing a good job, it's just not "there" for me to use full time yet. It's one thing to have 1 issue here or there, I mean who cares, right? But when I run the amount of machines I do, I just need things to work, and even little errors can be a huge problem.

Much <3 to all of the DEs though. I think highly of each of them and I love using each one for different reasons. But at the end of the day, I gotta use what works for me, so I stick to Gnome.

AllRadioisDead
April 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Love Gnome, but hate it at the same time. Oddly enough it's my main DE.

KDE 4 is wonderful, but not stable enough for me to use. And whenever I do use it, I keep thinking Windows.

XFCE is wonderful, but it looks too much like something out of the early 2000's unless you mod it to death.

LXDE was a useless and broken DE when I tried it last year. Didn't work. Period. At all.

I can only really see Gnome and KDE going far. XFCE will be for the more technical users (not because it's hard, but because it isn't prominent. LXDE for older comps. WMs like flux etc for the advanced/tinker users, etc.
Pretty much.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 6th, 2010, 10:23 PM
While I would argue KDE is making some excellent moves in the right direction, even with KDE 4.3, I still ran into some weird quirks that warranted me having to use an alternative as my main DE. My big thing was how strange it was that Ubuntu with pulse audio was easily more stable and predictable than Kubuntu without pulse audio.

I think Gnome has some very solid roots, and they tend to play their cards nicely. While I'm interested in Gnome Shell, the more I use it the more I feel it's somewhat cumbersome. However, I don't want to judge yet. I've talked to the GS developers and they have a lot of refining they want to do and they seem to have a lot of confidence and passion in making this project work. Having said that, I'll keep the faith and see what their final release brings.

LXDE is very interesting, but I can't really comment on it because I have not used it extensively enough just yet. XFCE is in the same boat, however I liked what I saw for what little time I ran XFCE.

But at the end of the day, I still look at KDE and think they're playing a catch up game. And while they are doing a good job, it's just not "there" for me to use full time yet. It's one thing to have 1 issue here or there, I mean who cares, right? But when I run the amount of machines I do, I just need things to work, and even little errors can be a huge problem.

Much <3 to all of the DEs though. I think highly of each of them and I love using each one for different reasons. But at the end of the day, I gotta use what works for me, so I stick to Gnome.

I agree with this. Gnome is very solid for me.

cariboo907
April 6th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I use gnome, but modify it to suit my way of working. I currently spent 98% of the time using gnome shell.

XubuRoxMySox
April 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
KDE made my 'puter slow to a crawl. It's pretty, but a resource hog.

Gnome is where I started, and it's definitely simple as well as versatile.

LXDE suffers from what I call "the 'Buntu Bug," because it seems to run fine on other distros, but not on Ubuntu or any Ubuntu spin-offs, at least not on my machines. I actually got it tweaked enough on a minimal Ubuntu installation to run with minimal bugginess.

Xfce is my new favorite, because it has both Gnome's simplicity and extra features, and LXDE's speed. There is no noticeable difference in speed on my old Dell Dimension between LXDE and Xfce-4! Which really surprised me. And no bugs!

When I tried Xubuntu and learned that it doesn't ship with PulseAudio and a lot of the other stuff that plagues its Gnome and KDE siblings, I was delighted! I've read that Xubuntu is not lightweight at all (in fairness, lightness is not what they're aiming for anyway), but it seems to me lately, in both Karmic and even more so in Lucid, that the Xubuntu developers have decided to really trim it down. It has a lot less of the Gnome cruft than prior versions. Xubuntu has been on a diet and its performance shows it!

I think I'll revisit LXDE when the project settles down a little. It's "under heavy development" which to me translates as, "Beta! Beware!" In another year or so, I think LXDE will completely rock. In the meantime, I've settled comfortably into Xfce-4 and made my home there.

Always exploring,
Robin

J V
April 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
My current setting is gnome/openbox with a terminator desktop, its sweet :)

(Just need to get openbox to dissalow terminator to iconify, then its perfect)

ronnielsen1
April 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
GNOME: I am currently a gnome user because it has always been stable and has a good feature set, while staying lighter than KDE. I also like most of the default configuration, but would like to see more configuration options. That being said I don't think I like where Gnome 3 is heading. It just doesn't look like the way I would manage my desktop, but I will reserve judgment on it until it is released. I have been considering moving to another DE (XFCE) now to avoid this huge change when Gnome 3 drops.

KDE: I could never really get into KDE. I tried KDE 4.2 when it was released and I liked it a lot better than the 3.x series, and the initial 4.0 release, but not enough to keep me from using Gnome. I find it too heavy and takes to long to configure to my liking. I like how configurable it is, I just don't like how it is managed. I do find it the best looking DE out of the box. If they focus on ease of configuration and making it less resource intensive I would give it a further look.

XFCE: I recently starting playing with XFCE and was pleasantly surprised at how complete a DE it is. I always assumed being one of the "lightweight" DE's/WM's that it wouldn't have such as complete set of features. I am really considering switching to this as my primary DE. It seems to be catching up to Gnome in a lot of ways, while keeping a lightweight base. My only concern is the speed of development. With the lack of development recourses recently I wonder if they will be able to keep up with the other DE's as time goes on.

LXDE: I have yet to try this, but it is starting to sound promising. I plan on looking into this one a bit more, but I think it will take a bit more time to really compete with the bigger DE's. It is supposed to be lighter than XFCE, but I question how much faster it is in everyday use. __________________

I used kde3 and was really looking forward to kde4 because it was supposed to be prettier and faster and it started out that way. I saw the way it was headed and switched to gnome but gnome seems to be headed toward bloatness too. I think by the time it's all over, I'll end up with xfce or lxde

Me too. I think it's a blatant ripoff of kde4

mech7
April 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM

I think it was apple :popcorn:

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I think it's a blatant ripoff of kde4

I'm under the impression that win7 has its roots in longhorn which well preceeded kde4. If that's true, then it is kde4 who is guilty of ripping off.

Psumi
April 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Future for me:

Openbox without a DE, no DM, so I use startx.

Oh wait, I already do that. :|

DEs are too bloated to use for me.

Frogs Hair
April 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I hope all the different possibilities continue to be part of Ubuntu . I would be sad day if one was to install ubuntu only to find a Windows areo clone.

Khakilang
April 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I take whatever come with Ubuntu and don't spend time tinkering around the desktop. Maybe I am not a power user. But most importantly it must be rock stable.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I don't mean widgets etc.. I mean the default appearance. Windows 7 took influence from KDE4 for sure, but look at it a bit. The default layout in KDE is highly influenced by Windows.

Me too. I think it's a blatant ripoff of kde4

I'm under the impression that win7 has its roots in longhorn which well preceeded kde4. If that's true, then it is kde4 who is guilty of ripping off.

Nobody ripped off anyone.

It's okay! You're all free now!

I'm as surprised as you! I didn't think it was possible.

texaswriter
April 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
That may as well be true, but it wasn't the question. Windows or KDE.

I've never seen widgets in Apple the way they are used in Windows or KDE, but I'm no Apple expert.

I've used KDE+COMPIZ in SIDUX and Kubuntu now and never noticed any slowdown from using GNOME+COMPIZ. KDE+Compiz is FAR less buggy then GNOME+COMPIZ.