View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto copy folders from ubuntu server to windows and vice versa

April 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hi can any one help me in this... Many Thanks in advance...

1. I need a script(like a scheduled cron job) which should perform Automatic copy (backup) of a directory from ubuntu server to windows and vice versa....

i tried every thing like samba mounting,ftp,etc..
with samba its possible to map the network drive of an ubuntu directory in windows..
but if the ubuntu server is not available then i cant access the network share..

Exactly this situation is happening for me while backing up tmp directory of ubuntu server ...

so in this case i need a permanent backup of tmp directory of ubuntu server in windows rather than a network share.

2. Also any ideas or scripts regarding automatic ftp (while doing a backup) from ubuntu server to windows... which can easily solve the above issue...

April 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Have you tried unison ?

April 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
not yet...
am not aware of unison...
can u brief tat ......

April 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Sure: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unison+file+copy

April 8th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks Bro Let me check on tis

April 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Are you trying to keep the folders synced, between both ubuntu and windows box??

April 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
ya am trying to snyc the linux and window..s so tat instead of network share tat backup should b avialable even if linux box s powered off...

April 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Seems Like rsync is what your looking for on linux and there is a rsync for windows called Deltacopy Check that out and see how that works for you. I guess you could also use rysnc on one side to check the windows share if there's updates and I guess you can use sync toy on windows to check a samba share also. I think the rsync/deltacopy method would be the better choice

April 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yup let me check out bro