PDA

View Full Version : Debian Gnome not polished as Ubuntu Gnome?

Laxman_prodigy
April 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Its rock solid. Very fast. But I miss the polish.

Even if I installed new fonts, the fonts are not like smooth.

Any suggestions for polishing Debian Gnome?:lolflag:

Khakilang
April 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
What version of Gnome you are using?

Laxman_prodigy
April 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I don't know but I use Debian lenny.

Even in Debian testing, it is so.

keiichidono
April 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Debian's Gnome is not the latest version and doesn't have very many patches as far as I know. That is why you may feel as if the Gnome that Debian uses isn't as "polished" as the Gnome used in Ubuntu. I do not know of an easy way to give Debian's Gnome more "polish".

Khakilang
April 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Here I use Gnome 2.28.1. Maybe you can go to System> About Gnome. It will show what version you are using. I don;t know about Debian Lenny but I think they work just the same. Here take a look at the attached image.

Laxman_prodigy
April 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Here I use Gnome 2.28.1. Maybe you can go to System> About Gnome. It will show what version you are using. I don;t know about Debian Lenny but I think they work just the same. Here take a look at the attached image.

Gnome 2.22. But the testing branch of Debian uses quite latest and its still the same.

Psumi
April 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Gnome 2.22. But the testing branch of Debian uses quite latest and its still the same.

Latest GNOME is 2.30 actually. Debian Testing uses 2.28

GNOME Shell will be default in GNOME 2.30/3.0 come September.

Zoot7
April 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Any suggestions for polishing Debian Gnome?:lolflag:
http://gnome-look.org/

;)

ibuclaw
April 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
The polish in fonts usually come from applications that use libxft for rendering. I would recommend that you use Squeeze instead, it is much more modern, and still quite stable for production.

(edit): also, have a look at what tff fonts you have installed on Debian in comparison to Ubuntu.

Regards.

NightwishFan
April 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
You can fix the font rendering in System -> Preferences -> Appearence. I have found Debian to be similar to Ubuntu on a lot of counts. The correct word, as you said, is that it lacks polish. I agree with this. It is still a fantastic distribution though.