PDA

View Full Version : More discussion about Gnome and changes

silverwood99
April 5th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Im absolutely terrified of GNOME 3. I love the way GNOME works now, and this just seems like change for the sake of change to me. Any way the can be an option to stay on GNOME 2.x?

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
It is their intention to leave the Gnome 2 interface available. I could not tell you how many releases it shall be so though. Read the link about gnome3 myths in my signature.

silverwood99
April 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
It is their intention to leave the Gnome 2 interface available. I could not tell you how many releases it shall be so though. Read the link about gnome3 myths in my signature.

So we can install GNOME 2 panel and remove GNOME-shell from startup?
If this is so, then it is hardly a big deal methinks...
Ahh well, i will still be hoping :-k

ad_267
April 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Im absolutely terrified of GNOME 3. I love the way GNOME works now, and this just seems like change for the sake of change to me. Any way the can be an option to stay on GNOME 2.x?

I think it's more change for the sake of progress :)

I'm sure you'll have the option of sticking with the normal Gnome panels for quite a while though.

mathspeedy
April 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I think it's more change for the sake of progress :)

I'm sure you'll have the option of sticking with the normal Gnome panels for quite a while though.

Just take a look at this:p
http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths

webme
April 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
ubuntu is in constant growing adding more and more user--- seems like this isn't a good thing as it should be.
consequences --- mark sh. will take the leader of comunity position and force us to accept gnome 3, not realizing that are many other os-es from which we can choose,
-introduce paid software(in ubuntu software center we can already see ''free software'' --gues what's next?)
---and taking all the decision by himself(not listening of our desires)!!!
this gnome 3 thing i think is a change for giving ubuntu some kind of branding and distinct him from the other os, but i personally will not use a computer that require both of my hand for entering into a file> windows has 20 years of development, a 15 gb installed on hard OS, and they still have the ''gtk'' interface!!!

Merk42
April 5th, 2010, 07:10 AM
ubuntu is in constant growing adding more and more user--- seems like this isn't a good thing as it should be.
consequences --- mark sh. will take the leader of comunity position and force us to accept gnome 3, not realizing that are many other os-es from which we can choose,
-introduce paid software(in ubuntu software center we can already see ''free software'' --gues what's next?)
this gnome 3 thing i think is a change for giving ubuntu some kind of branding and distinct him from the other os, but i personally will not use a computer that require both of my hand for entering into a file> windows has 20 years of development, a 15 gb installed on hard OS, and they still have the ''gtk'' interface!!!
You do know the GNOME Shell/GNOME 3 isn't exclusive to Ubuntu and Canonical isn't even the one making it, right?

cariboo907
April 5th, 2010, 07:11 AM
@webme you might want to take some time and read the link in the post above yours.

k3lt01
April 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM
this gnome 3 thing i think is a change for giving ubuntu some kind of branding and distinct him from the other os, but i personally will not use a computer that require both of my hand for entering into a file> windows has 20 years of development, a 15 gb installed on hard OS, and they still have the ''gtk'' interface!!!Oh me oh my, lets just chuck the baby out the window with the bath water shall we!

1st, Gnome shell isn't exclusive to Ubuntu, so it doesn't matter what distro you want to use many will eventually go to G-S as an option eventually.

2nd, what has paid software got to do with G-S?

3rd, Mark Shuttleworth is paying his money out so YOU and I can have a free OS. Begrudging him the opportunity to evolve the OS he pays for is akin to demanding another person works so you don't have to. I think a bit of gratitude is in order not conspiracy theories.

4th, What's wrong with paid software? I for one do not have a problem with paying for something that is of a higher standard than what is already available for free. As long as a free option is available then by all means give people a paid option as well.

5th, Sorry but I really don't get what your complaint is. I hope I have covered your major points but some of your discussion is, to me anyway, not very well researched.

webme
April 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Oh me oh my, lets just chuck the baby out the window with the bath water shall we!

1st, Gnome shell isn't exclusive to Ubuntu, so it doesn't matter what distro you want to use many will eventually go to G-S as an option eventually.

2nd, what has paid software got to do with G-S?

3rd, Mark Shuttleworth is paying his money out so YOU and I can have a free OS. Begrudging him the opportunity to evolve the OS he pays for is akin to demanding another person works so you don't have to. I think a bit of gratitude is in order not conspiracy theories.

4th, What's wrong with paid software? I for one do not have a problem with paying for something that is of a higher standard than what is already available for free. As long as a free option is available then by all means give people a paid option as well.

5th, Sorry but I really don't get what your complaint is. I hope I have covered your major points but some of your discussion is, to me anyway, not very well researched.of course, you haven't understand nothing
1. i never said that g-s 3 is only for ubuntu
2.branding , meaning o positioning in the user mind next to mac, windows
3.i've read live.gnome.myths let's read MYTHS word(look in the dictionary)
4.mark paying money for you and me(let's make him an altar and make him a saint ----Canonical is a corporation---they all want profit eventually)
5. most important- ubuntu is based on LINUX(linus made it) and debian(mark didn't do it)
6.mark took linuz and debian free and he could never charge us( bill gates can-he wrote windows)
7. what has g-s with paid ---I WAS TAKING ABOUT THE FUTURE(THE CHANGES I HOPE WILL NEVER OCURE)
8. and NO, eventualyy i can have windows or mac(in this worls exist other os-es than ubuntu) if g-s 3 will be default and only one
9. i am not talking about conspiracy theory, i just look at thousand of people on the net, which make software, themes, icons for ubuntu and i have gratitude for them, for mark as well, but in a world with 90% windows on all computer it's hard to compete(maybe this comunity thing is good---but i'm afraid mark will ruine it)
EDIT --- ANT THE MOST IDIOTIC THINF I'VE EVER HEARD --- ''you know canonical doesn;t make g-shell''--response:my friend, canonical makes ubuntu(canonical has the cash--very needed for the development--ask mark about 10 mill bucks), therefore on what canonical focusses on became important in very short time!!!

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Webme, I respectfully add you are forgetting these guys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell

They are corporations too. If you have used Linux or nearly any free software in the past then you have benefited from their work. Canonical may be a business, but Mark Shuttleworth had already made money. He and many employees of Canonical were once Debian volunteers. If Mark is half the man I think he is; he already did what he wanted most, and now wants to do some good in the world. I hope they succeed.

nhasian
April 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM
will take the leader of comunity position and force us to accept gnome 3, not realizing that are many other os-es from which we can choose,

just because its different doesn't automatically make it bad. gnome-shell is still six months away and it already works well and is starting to look more polished and professional.

What's wrong with developers getting paid? I think it would be great if there were donation buttons in the software-center as well. So you could donate to applications that you like an use. For example gnome needs money right now to hire a system admin:

http://www.gnome.org/friends/

windows has 20 years of development, a 15 gb installed on hard OS, and they still have the ''gtk'' interface!!!

I'm happy to see ubuntu and linux innovating and taking the lead instead of being behind and the curve and playing catch-up to mac and windows.

phenest
April 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM
no.
when i "pin" a favorite to the overlay, the program gets outlined when its running. for chromium however, it makes a new icon and runs separate from the pinned favorite. it's all kinda confusing.

Thunderbird does this too.

k3lt01
April 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
of course, you haven't understand nothinglol, then be a bit clearer with what you are saying because from what I can see I am not the only person who has posted to correct what you have said.

1. i never said that g-s 3 is only for ubuntu
I never said you did say that. However I did say that it is not exclusive to Ubuntu and that other Linux's will probably use it to so if you choose another OS, of which Linux is but one you will possibly come across it anyway.

2.branding , meaning o positioning in the user mind next to mac, windows
OK this is a new topic, I love it when people introduce new things to their discussions.

3.i've read live.gnome.myths let's read MYTHS word(look in the dictionary)
Why don't you post your definition of it?

4.mark paying money for you and me(let's make him an altar and make him a saint
Nah thanks, I'm protestant I don't do the alter thing but I do do the respect thing. For what Mark has done and is trying to do with Ubuntu and other FOSS style projects I will give him the respect he deserves.

----Canonical is a corporation---they all want profit eventually)
And why shouldn't they? People deserve to be paid for a fair days work! Or don't you think this is the case?

5. most important- ubuntu is based on LINUX(linus made it) and debian(mark didn't do it)
Linus has made a living out of Linux, Mark is/was a DD (Debian Developer). I can't see what your point here is unless it is to say you don't think Mark should be allowed to do what he wants with HIS version of Linux. To which I say, if it's his he can do what he wants. You have free choice to use it or not to.

6.mark took linuz and debian free and he could never charge us( bill gates can-he wrote windows)
There are links above to articles on RedHat and Novell. May I humbly suggest you read them before you say to much more about getting something for free and not being able to charge for it.

7. what has g-s with paid ---I WAS TAKING ABOUT THE FUTURE(THE CHANGES I HOPE WILL NEVER OCURE)
So you think G-S will lead to you having to pay for Gnome? Btw Using CAPS LOCK in a continuous string is considered shouting.

8. and NO, eventualyy i can have windows or mac(in this worls exist other os-es than ubuntu) if g-s 3 will be default and only one
You have freedom to choose that is the idea. You don't hav to use G-S if you don't want to. You can use Windows or Mac or even KDE or XFCE etc.

9. i am not talking about conspiracy theory, i just look at thousand of people on the net, which make software, themes, icons for ubuntu and i have gratitude for them, for mark as well, but in a world with 90% windows on all computer it's hard to compete(maybe this comunity thing is good---but i'm afraid mark will ruine it)
Mark is the Ubuntu founder ok, if he wants to ruin it he can, you have the freedom to move on.

EDIT --- ANT THE MOST IDIOTIC THINF I'VE EVER HEARD --- ''you know canonical doesn;t make g-shell''--response:my friend, canonical makes ubuntu(canonical has the cash--very needed for the development--ask mark about 10 mill bucks), therefore on what canonical focusses on became important in very short time!!!
STOP SHOUTING, lol

The Canonical doesn't make G-S point is valid. Your response is to up to a point. You see th absolute beauty of Linux is you, the user, can use other DEs (Desktop Environments). Try KDE or Something if you don't like G-S. Better still stay with Gnome 2.x. Problem solved, simple wasn't it.

shafin
April 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM
of course, you haven't understand nothing

DOUBLE NEGATIVE

It must be remembered that two negatives in the English language destroy each other and are equivalent to an affirmative. Thus "I don't know nothing about it" is intended to convey, that I am ignorant of the matter under consideration, but it defeats its own purpose, inasmuch as the use of nothing implies that I know something about it. The sentence should readó"I don't know anything about it."
Often we hear such expressions as "He was not asked to give no opinion," expressing the very opposite of what is intended. This sentence implies that he was asked to give his opinion. The double negative, therefore, should be carefully avoided, for it is insidious and is liable to slip in and the writer remain unconscious of its presence until the eye of the critic detects it.

http://www.lousywriter.com/grammar_mistakes_double_negative.php