PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me if anything is wrong with this?

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Someone is selling this, 40 bucks. Is it just a cheap deal or does anything seem to be wrong with it?

http://j.imagehost.org/0305/Blackish_033.jpg

LeifAndersen
April 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
It's probably just the angle, but it looks like there are no knobs on the end for tuning it.

wojox
April 6th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Tuners look okay. I don't think their broke. Can you pick it up and use before you buy or is it on e-bay or something like that? :guitar:

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Tuners look okay. I don't think their broke. Can you pick it up and use before you buy or is it on e-bay or something like that? :guitar:
I will before i hand over the cash, but this is for learning, i actually don't know how to play. Just seems too cheap to be true!

wojox
April 6th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I will before i hand over the cash, but this is for learning, i actually don't know how to play. Just seems too cheap to be true!

Oh yeah if it's something to practice on it looks like it's worth forty bucks. Have fun and remember RUSH is great to learn when you're starting out.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
It's probably just the angle, but it looks like there are no knobs on the end for tuning it.

It does look like 2 of the 6 tuning knobs are missing. As you said, it could be the angle.

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Just asked then, it is apparently the angle.

PC_load_letter
April 6th, 2010, 01:34 AM
If you want cheap guitars you can also try www.rondomusic.com
The electric basses they have (SX, Brice, Douglas) is of great quality for the prices they sell for.
Their return policy is also very good. They just make these guitars in China somewhere, not the highest craftsmanship but they are really good for the price you pay. I have only personal experience with the basses though.

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 02:00 AM
If you want cheap guitars you can also try www.rondomusic.com (http://www.rondomusic.com)
The electric basses they have (SX, Brice, Douglas) is of great quality for the prices they sell for.
Their return policy is also very good. They just make these guitars in China somewhere, not the highest craftsmanship but they are really good for the price you pay. I have only personal experience with the basses though.

After shipping its roughly the same. Though i do plan on learning bass after i've gotten decent in acoustic. So i will keep that link handy.

nmccrina
April 6th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Oh yeah if it's something to practice on it looks like it's worth forty bucks. Have fun and remember RUSH is great to learn when you're starting out.

Lol, I love Rush but Alex Lifeson is insane! The only song I've been able to get down more or less completely is Jacob's Ladder (which is amazingly fun to play!). I'd be hesitant to recommend starting with Rush for fear of causing you to give up immediately in disgust! :lolflag:

If you're into classic rock, try some David Gilmour stuff. He isn't as technical but of course it still sounds impressive!

FWIW, I've found the tabs at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com to be generally very good.

Good luck!

koleoptero
April 6th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Forty bucks for a guitar is too cheap, it'll probably turn into a longbow in 6 months. But if you're not sure you want to learn how to play guitar, but you want to experiment with it then it's good enough. Try to get someone to play something on it before you buy it to make sure it's not just decorative.

paydaydaddy
April 6th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Sounds like you can see it before you buy. If you have a knowledgeable friend take them with you to look at it. Check to see if the neck is straight. Make sure the action is playable (not too high or doesn't "fret out" as you play up the neck). To "fret out" means that as you play up the neck the strings touch the frets ahead of where they are fingered and buzz or die. If it seems to have minor problems see if you can take it to a tech and get an estimate on repairs. From the picture it looks like a pretty good hard case. A decent hard case would be worth most of the $40.

2hot6ft2
April 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Check to see if the neck is straight. Make sure the action is playable (not too high or doesn't "fret out" as you play up the neck). To "fret out" means that as you play up the neck the strings touch the frets ahead of where they are fingered and buzz or die.
That's what I was thinking too. I used to have one with a bowed neck and it was best used IN a campfire. Like has already been mentioned 2 of the tuning knobs are hard to make out but the case looks good on the inside so it may actually be well maintained or hardly used.

oldsoundguy
April 6th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Check the following:
Is the neck solidly attached? (wiggle it)
Check for major cracks in the WOOD of the body and neck (finish cracks are OK)
take a metal straight edge and lay it along the frets on both sides of the neck and check for any sign of warping.
take that same straight edge and lay it over the strings and see if there is any bowing from head to body.. it can be easily spotted that way.
check how far the strings are off of the frets at the body end .. if they are way up in the air, no good .. if they are too close and buzz .. no good.
A metal truss rod in the necks of SOME guitars can correct that, but not worth sending it to a shop for a guitar dog to work on the set up.
Check the inside using a stick to see if the interior bracing is still glued in place.

IF that passes .. forget about the string condition, you will need new nylon strings anyway (it is not electric, so start with nylon)

40 bucks for a learner guitar is fine .. it may be hard to play because of set up, but you will get finger strength that way and you can learn with it.

(take a look at that thing that Willy Nelson plays .. he has worn a hole in the top, but the thing still sounds good and plays beautifully!)

dmizer
April 6th, 2010, 03:51 AM
In addition to the above, also make sure that the soundboard (top part of the guitar with the sound hole in it) is flat, particularly around the bridge where the strings attach to the soundboard and make sure it isn't pulled up a bit.

$40 sounds reasonable for a mid range used steel string acoustic guitar. There is not a lot of demand for them, unfortunately.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2010, 03:55 AM
If it's not warped, and it's playable it's worth $40.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM
It does look like 2 of the 6 tuning knobs are missing. As you said, it could be the angle.

I can see 5 of the tuners the only one I can't see is the G string tuner which is because of the angle for sure.

Edit: looked again I can see the G tuner as well. They are all there.

Frogs Hair
April 6th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Run a search of the name on the label inside the sound hole and see what comes up.:guitar:

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Forgot to mention, its also electric.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Forgot to mention, its also electric.

The cheapest electric acoustic I've come across was $200 and it was a piece of crap. I would say for sure you're getting a great deal if it work properly.

themarker0
April 6th, 2010, 04:39 AM
The cheapest electric acoustic I've come across was $200 and it was a piece of crap. I would say for sure you're getting a great deal if it work properly.

I don't mind if that part doesn't work though :P

oldsoundguy
April 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
If that thing actually IS electric (steel strings) sure can't see any pickups .. if it is using a contact pickup (transducer), it would be mounted inside or on the body somewhere (could even be a bridge pickup)

For 40 bucks .. and supposedly electric (and the electric works). Something is wrong or the thing is stolen. That case is worth nearly the 40 bucks.

If you wonder how I would know .. over 30 years working with bands .. you know these things.

dmizer
April 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
If that thing actually IS electric (steel strings) sure can't see any pickups .. if it is using a contact pickup (transducer), it would be mounted inside or on the body somewhere (could even be a bridge pickup)

For 40 bucks .. and supposedly electric (and the electric works). Something is wrong or the thing is stolen. That case is worth nearly the 40 bucks.

If you wonder how I would know .. over 30 years working with bands .. you know these things.

You can see (barely) the volume knob on the side of the soundbox, just above the neck.

oldsoundguy
April 7th, 2010, 12:10 AM
You can see (barely) the volume knob on the side of the soundbox, just above the neck.

YEP!! Cousin weak eyes here .. I note that it has steel strings. The pickup appears to be a transducer pickup .. internally mounted as I see no coil pickup and coil pickups need string proximity to work.

Soooo.. my statement stands .. if that thing WORKS and passes a physical inspection .. most likely HOT!!! (turn moral code on at this point.)

themarker0
April 7th, 2010, 12:49 AM

Case isn't included, person just lost their job apparently. Also knowing my friend it isn't stolen, just selling stuff for cash for illicit use :(

oldsoundguy
April 7th, 2010, 01:08 AM
totally up to you but your nic "themarker0" could become "the mark".

And, buying stuff from a "friend" to support their nasty habit really opens up a can of worms.

They clean up and want it back and you don't want to sell it back .. just one of the many pathways.

In most cases, they will, eventually, feel that they have been had and your friendship goes down the tube!

Just MY somewhat biased opinion. (btdtgts!)

themarker0
April 7th, 2010, 02:29 AM
totally up to you but your nic "themarker0" could become "the mark".

And, buying stuff from a "friend" to support their nasty habit really opens up a can of worms.

They clean up and want it back and you don't want to sell it back .. just one of the many pathways.

In most cases, they will, eventually, feel that they have been had and your friendship goes down the tube!

Just MY somewhat biased opinion. (btdtgts!)

At your first statement, its one of the reasons i choose this name.

Also i misunderstood. Its their brother, who i don't know, and friend only lives with 1/2 the time.

themarker0
April 8th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Just to update you all, i got it today, i checked, everything works awesome. I couldn't test the electric part, but i really don't care about that part :P. So yea, thanks for all the tips :)

eriktheblu
April 8th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The pickup appears to be a transducer pickup .. internally mounted as I see no coil pickup and coil pickups need string proximity to work.

Check again at the 19th fret. I suspect those are the pole pieces.

you will need new nylon strings anyway (it is not electric, so start with nylon)

I disagree here. Starting with a nylon string may be a little softer on the fingers, but I've know plenty (self included) that started with a steel string. A steel string will strengthen your fingers force you to fret properly.

Beyond that, the fretboard of a classical guitar is almost invariably wider than that of a steel string. Worse than that, it could throw the intonation all out of whack causing fret buzz or worse.

Even without those potential issues, the nylon strings are thicker than their steel counterparts. The nut is not slotted for strings of that diameter.

If you find the strings too thick to work with, grab a lighter set, perhaps even use electric guitar strings.

Case isn't included,
Consider getting one, even if it's a cheap one. An electronic tuner will save you a lot of headache unless you're used to tuning by ear.

Looks like a good find for the price, but if you stick with it you'll want to upgrade soon enough.

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Actually they were nice enough to throw it in, and it got it all :D

swoll1980
April 9th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Actually they were nice enough to throw it in, and it got it all :D

Nice. Whatever you do don't put the nylons on as someone suggested. It won't sound good, and you wont learn how to play properly.

Khakilang
April 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM
My brother had one that is similar o this but it is out of tune due to the neck bend a little but not noticeable. Only when you play you can hear it is out of tune and have to be adjust quite often. That guitar may look good condition but you have to play it before buying. A guitar has to look good and sound great.