PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about Lucid redux

wildman4god
April 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Lets' try this again, My last post was shut down because I used the "R" word (retard), wasn't aware that was against ubuntu forum policies so here is the G rated version.

Is ubuntu 10.04 going to include the package usb_modeswitch by default. This package is used to help linux mount certain usb 3g modems as modems instead of as flashdrives. A good portion of 3g modems have a fake cd-rom mode so windows users can automajically install the needed drivers and software to use the modem. problem is in linux, it just sees it as a flashdrive and network manager can't use it. usb_modeswitch fixes this. Problem is it's currently not installed in the beta 1 of ubuntu lucid and while I could install it my self, many people that ubuntu is aimed at can't (lack of knowledge not intellegence). plus I hear it sometimes conflicts with an unmaintained udev rule called modem_modeswitch. So I hope the ubuntu development team can fix this confliction and include this package in ubuntu by default especially since it's an lts and increadibly importaint for netbooks. So does any one know for sure weather or not they are working on this?

wildman4god
April 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong are, I though my last thread was just closed, but it was also moved to the proper sub-forum. How do I move this?

wilee-nilee
April 5th, 2010, 11:15 PM
It is in synaptic in Lucid.