PDA

View Full Version : For Lucid - a possible "Press Release"? :)

emarkay
April 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
My ISP, (company, club, etc.) sends out a monthly newsletter - what about yours? Feel free to edit and submit. :)

"Ubuntu is a community developed operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers... Ubuntu contains all the applications you'll ever need, from word processing and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.

Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with for absolutely nothing.

They issue a new desktop and server release every six months; you'll always have the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer, and, Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. [Additionally with the late-April release of Ubuntu 10.04, a periodic] "Long Term Support" (LTS) version, you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server. [Note that there] is no extra fee for the LTS version.

Everything you need comes on one CD, providing a complete working environment. Additional software is available online, [with support and for free]. The graphical installer enables you to get up and running quickly and easily, and a standard installation should take less than 25 minutes.

Once installed, [or to test, using this CD "live"], your system is immediately ready-to-use. On the desktop you have a full set of productivity, Internet, drawing and graphics applications, and games. Once Ubuntu is installed, all the basics are in place so that your system will be immediately usable.

[Most amazingly, the default installation comes with an MS Office compatible office productivity suite, by Sun Microsystems, the creators of Java, called] OpenOffice ... which includes all the key desktop applications you need, such as: Word processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation [and more. For free! With Open Office, you can] easily open, edit and share files with your friends that have Microsoft Office, Word Perfect, KOffice or StarOffice.

[As with other standard Operating Systems,] the task bar [notifies you about running applications, has icons to place commonly used apps, and offers other useful information in one place. It also ]contains an update area where we'll notify you when there are updates available for your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade.

Need more software than what is installed by default? Simply choose from thousands of software packages in the Ubuntu catalog, all available to download and install at the click of a button. And it's all completely free!

You'll be able to find help using the desktop browser or online. If you have a question about using Ubuntu, you can bet someone else has already asked it. Our community has developed a range of documentation that may contain the answer to your question, or give you ideas about where to look. This is also where you'll get access to free support from the Ubuntu community in the chat and mailing lists in many languages. Alternatively, you can purchase professional support from the Canonical Global Support Services Team, or local providers.

System requirements: Ubuntu is available for PC [desktop, laptop and notebooks], 64-Bit PC and Intel-based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). [Seriously, really! This "live CD" allows you to preview Ubuntu without installing, and runs the OS completely - even networks and the Internet! A complete] install requires at least 4 GB of disk space."

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

This Operating System is for those who have the desire to free themselves from license restrictions and fees, expensive upgrades and annoying updates, as well as not having to worry about malware and bloatware.

Sure, some are entrenched (either corporately or with special requirements) to stay with MS or Apple, but for those who know "what's behind the window", they can find a whole new, supported and stable "window" here!

With WINE (the Windows Emulator), a great majority of MS Windows applications (including IE, Irfanview, and even MS Windows itself!) can be run seamlessly in Ubuntu, and then there is the whole other arena of Linux games. For example, for those who love MS Flight Simulator, see "Flight Gear"!

Most modern hardware and optional configurations are fully supported by the Open Source community, and many devices are also officially supported by the OEMs .

While I am not affiliated with Canonical (the creators of the Ubuntu distro), I think it's time to introduce those that aren't "techies" to the concept of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) since the the days of needing to be a PhD "geek" to run Linux are over!

mpt
April 6th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Who is your target audience here? Are you planning on distributing this as part of your LoCo team?

Journalists are really busy people. If you don’t say, in the first paragraph of a press release, what just happened, they’ll delete it without reading the rest. In this first draft of yours, you don’t say what’s happened at all. Indeed, your text would have been more accurate for Ubuntu 7.04 than for 10.04: you don’t mention a single thing that’s new in Ubuntu since then, and back then Sun Microsystems actually existed.

Once you’ve fixed that, do whatever rewriting you need to do so that you’re no longer using the [, ], ", or ! characters. Not that they’re evil or anything, but the only good reason to use any of them in a press release is if you’re quoting someone, and here you aren’t.

For more advice, see “50 tips for press release writing (http://www.pressdr.com/blog/media-release-writing/50-tips-for-press-release-writing.php)”. I’ve just covered #1, #2, and #3 from that page here, but there’s a lot more you could improve.

emarkay
April 6th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Who is your target audience here? Are you planning on distributing this as part of your LoCo team?
Journalists are really busy people. If you donít say, in the first paragraph of a press release, what just happened, theyíll delete it without reading the rest. In this first draft of yours, you donít say whatís happened at all. Indeed, your text would have been more accurate for Ubuntu 7.04 than for 10.04: you donít mention a single thing thatís new in Ubuntu since then, and back then Sun Microsystems actually existed.
Once youíve fixed that, do whatever rewriting you need to do so that youíre no longer using the [, ], ", or ! characters. Not that theyíre evil or anything, but the only good reason to use any of them in a press release is if youíre quoting someone, and here you arenít.

For more advice, see ď50 tips for press release writing (http://www.pressdr.com/blog/media-release-writing/50-tips-for-press-release-writing.php)Ē. Iíve just covered #1, #2, and #3 from that page here, but thereís a lot more you could improve.

Big thanks - yea know all the "soundbytes" (!), but it was intended more as a template - I left my edits (changes in brackets) from/to the source page, and I do know that this is more than the essential snippet.

Many homebrew, single author "newsletters" are circulated and this 3/4 page tome could easily be edited to a few paragraphs. I sent it to my ISp in response to their "FYI" section and FWIW, it was just something I though "newsworthy".

Yea I didn't factcheck on Sun's ID, but yea, otherwise, 7.04 would have dumbfounded 90% of the people I know; and I generally hang out with the literate ones - this one seems good for nine out of ten, as I see it now.

PS, no active LoCo's here north of Podunk and south of Nowheresville... :)