PDA

View Full Version : Button order changed

MacUntu
April 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Button order now is: close, minimize, maximize/restore.

This dev cycle is really challenging my brain. :lolflag:

Uncle Spellbinder
April 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM

At least it makes MUCH more sense now. I'm just glad that the left-side buttons only apply to the new themes.

VMC
April 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I noticed that too. Something else to get use too.

Note: To OP I see your avatar is ready for Meerkat 10.10 :)

Atermoon
April 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I kind of liked it the way it was. Anyway, won't take much to get used to, just like with the first change.
Isn't that the way buttons are on mac btw?

xebian
April 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM

This dev cycle is really challenging my brain. :lolflag:

Can we just have to select during the install? Or just put in the middle.:lolflag:

xebian
April 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I noticed that too. Something else to get use too.

Note: To OP I see your avatar is ready for Meerkat 10.10 :)

Yo' betcha ):P
Maverick Meerkat

arpanaut
April 5th, 2010, 05:54 PM
As we move toward completion

The result is becoming more Lucid!

:biggrin:

kaldor
April 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Why the change? I loved the new button positions from the start. I can of course get used to it, but now it's just copying OS X's layout for the buttons.

MacUntu
April 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
now it's just copying OS X's layout

Maybe the Mac OS X layout is better - do want something inferior just so you can say "it's not a copy"?

ElSlunko
April 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Gosh Darnit. I think I've had more misclicks since they changed the button order than when they moved the actual buttons. Go figure.

MacUntu
April 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think I've had more misclicks since they changed the button order than when they moved the actual buttons.
I think that's to be expected. ;)

jmmL
April 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not seeing the change yet - which package updates were responsible?
I'm using the main mirror.

Merk42
April 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not seeing the change yet - which package updates were responsible?
I'm using the main mirror.

Light-themes (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+changelog)

Maybe you need to restart (or just log off/on) to see the change?

MacUntu
April 5th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Just change your theme to a different one and then change it back.

jmmL
April 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Huh, strange. I'd rebooted after the updates came through, but the button order didn't change. Now that I've switched to another theme and switched back again I have the newer button order..
Thanks

bennachie
April 6th, 2010, 12:28 AM
The order is a bit more logical, but the fundamental problem remains, at least in vanilla Ubuntu (the scheme would work fine in Mint, openSUSE and Kubuntu, which don't have global menu-bars at the top of the screen).

In vanilla Ubuntu, when windows are maximised (common on netbooks and laptops, especially where the mail client, browser, word-processor and spreadsheet are in use) there is an unsightly and inconvenient clutter of buttons and menu headers at the top left hand corner of the screen, and it's too easy to hit the wrong item.

As many others have suggested, if long-term GUI plans will be facilitated by the change, that's fine - but until the new GUI arrives, there should be a simple graphical way for users to choose which location they prefer, and the default option should be the one which works best with the current GUI.

ElSlunko
April 6th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I've heard it's more logical, but I think coming from a primarily windows & linux background it feels less natural for me. It was never that I reached for the corner of a window to close it, it was that I reached for the right most button when glancing at the set of buttons.