PDA

View Full Version : Wicd on Lucid Lynx

hpx
April 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hi, I've started and using ubuntu 10:04 lucid lynx beta. And I must say I am very happy with it so far. It is of course a few minor bugs. But not something that is critical, so far. A small thing that I noticed. I prefer wicd network manager. When I installed it, gnome-network manger did not auto-uninstall, so I had to do it manually. No big thing, but it should happen automatically in the final release.

update::
Reinstall the standard Network Manager. just to see if it go's both ways. And it does, uninstall wicd manually also.

The Cog
April 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I noticed that. But I don't think it's such a bad thing. If installing wicd auto-removes the other network manager and then you find that wicd doesn't work (it doesn't on kubuntu 10.04) then you are left somewhat stranded.

mcooke1
April 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I noticed that. But I don't think it's such a bad thing. If installing wicd auto-removes the other network manager and then you find that wicd doesn't work (it doesn't on kubuntu 10.04) then you are left somewhat stranded.

Installed Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 when it was released and the default Network Manager worked on wired but not wireless, installed wicd and wireless then worked perfectly, for me.

The Cog
April 7th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Installed Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 when it was released and the default Network Manager worked on wired but not wireless, installed wicd and wireless then worked perfectly, for me.

Odd. It was Kubuntu beta 1 I tried it on, and it always got stuck on obtaining an IP address. No such problem on Ubuntu beta 1. I may try again when the proper release comes out.