PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager & Software Centre

Endomancer
April 5th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Since I installed Lucid Beta 1 I have noticed a couple of problems with the update manager and software centre and am wondering if anyone else is having the same or similar problems

1 I have not been receiving notification of when updates are available, I have had to open the update manager to see if there are updates available.

2 When I do have updates, not all of them download, some packages have required up to 5 attempts to download successfully

3 I have also tried to download and install Pingus and Micropolis through software centre numerous times, each time I have been unsuccessful

My first thought was "Software sources", so I checked it's settings

Ubuntu Software tab - everything ticked except source code and lucid 10.04 cd/dvd, I even ran the select best server test for the best mirror for my location

Other Software tab - http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner {ticked}
http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner (source code) {not ticked}
Both Medibuntu listings ticked

Is there anything else I should check/try? Is anyone else experiencing similar?

Thanx in advance

Endo

cariboo907
April 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
There is nothing wrong, that is normal during the testing phase. Depending on how you have update manager setup, you may not get notification that there are updates. I personally have update manager to notify me daily, but I use synaptic twice daily to update, so update manager doesn't have a chance to pop up.

Files being left behind is also normal, as there may be dependencies that aren't available yet. This is still the first beta, so things are still changing, and probably will right up to the final release. Fortunately from now on most of the updates will be bug fixes.

Endomancer
April 5th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Thank you cariboo907 for the quick response and explanation

setherd
April 5th, 2010, 03:36 AM
well update manager refuses to run at startup for me.
I've posted some threads about it and a bug report. I think I am the only one in the world.

ndefontenay
April 5th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I don't have update notification but if I go into the update manager I will see a list of updates. I just do it once a day.

I took it that it's that way durinf the test period. If that behavior persists after the release end of april, then I'll start asking.