PDA

View Full Version : question about ctrl+alt+f1, ctrl+alt+f7, ctrl+alt+f8

Scott82
April 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM
ok, i know the basics, that (gonna call ctrl+alt x for this 'cuz i don't wanna have to type them over and over) x+f1 takes you to a command prompt (think you have to log in first) and x+f7 and x+f8 normally take you back to GUI, but i dono what the difference is between f7 and f8.... reason i'm wondering is currently, x+f7 doesnt work on my pc right now and i thought it was the one normally used.... it takes me to a screen that repeatedly says cannot write to broken pipe or something like that. x+f8 seems to be fine though, so i'm mostly just wondering what the difference is.

edit:: hmm, maybe i was just going nuts last night 'cuz now x+f7 works and x+f8 does nothing...... i dono.

ajgreeny
April 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Ctrl+Alt+F8 would normally do nothing, as is now happening for you.

You would only see an F8 desktop if you login again to a gui without logging out of the original. At least, I think that's the case.

emarkay
April 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Guess we need a link to the official keyboard "shortcuts" for Lucid...

gare
April 5th, 2010, 12:45 AM
documentation? bah!!

Longinus00
April 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/Xorg.1.html#sect7

emarkay
April 5th, 2010, 02:54 AM
documentation? bah!!

Humbug... :)

Longinus00, Thanks! Will X11R6.8.0 be the version in the final Lucid X?

grandsatrap
April 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM
On my laptop, CTRL-ALT-F1 to F6 are different tty logins. They all seem to be just to a command prompt. If I exit one of them then it takes me back automatically to CTRL-ALT-F7 - my main GUI one.

CTRL-ALT-F1 shows the boot messages (the ones that haven't scrolled off the screen)

CTRL-ALT-F8 also shows messages on my computer. These show up when I switch from AC to Battery and vice versa. It doesn't always work though.

When I switched users to a guest user, this showed up as CTRL-ALT-F9. I can leave this user on, with Firefox ... and the process is still running and taking up CPU time. After I log off the guest user, CTRL-ALT-F9 just becomes a blank screen, like F10-F12.

Longinus00
April 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Humbug... :)

Longinus00, Thanks! Will X11R6.8.0 be the version in the final Lucid X?

$ X -version