PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] is mono safe to remove?

sartic
April 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM
package is mono-runtime ?

lamalex
April 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Sure it's "safe" but you won't be able to use any of the awesome mono-based software like Tasque, Do, Banshee, Tomboy, or Docky.

sartic
April 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
And F-Spot. Thx 4 list. Do not care about those app.

emarkay
April 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
"For those who donít know about it, Mono:
provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix.
That sounds pretty innocuous on the face of it. But..."

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/04/how-to-remove-mono-m-from-ubuntu-hardy-heron/

Interesting... Yea, apps I remove anyway already, and they may have inbreeding with Redmond?

kaivalagi
April 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM
A good alternative to Tomboy is Gnote, basically tomboy ported to C :)

Just thought it was worth a mention as tomboy is the only app out of the mono apps which I liked to use...

zekopeko
April 4th, 2010, 04:43 PM
"For those who donít know about it, Mono:
provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix.
That sounds pretty innocuous on the face of it. But..."

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/04/how-to-remove-mono-m-from-ubuntu-hardy-heron/

Interesting... Yea, apps I remove anyway already, and they may have inbreeding with Redmond?

Get your info from a better source please. A lot of FOSS software is using tech that has directly or indirectly ties to Microsoft. And that article is mostly FUD and lies.

zekopeko
April 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM
A good alternative to Tomboy is Gnote, basically tomboy ported to C :)

Just thought it was worth a mention as tomboy is the only app out of the mono apps which I liked to use...

Too bad that it's lagging behind Tomboy. Oh and it doesn't promise interoperability with Tomboy. How very Microsoft of them.

kaivalagi
April 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Too bad that it's lagging behind Tomboy. Oh and it doesn't promise interoperability with Tomboy. How very Microsoft of them.

My gawd, someone is going on a rampage for Mono aye! Chill out please...

Tomboy is great, but as it's the only app that I like from the list of Mono apps, and I can't justify the dependency requirements for just one app...especially when there is another app that does the same job and is good at it too.

Please don't feel like you need to defend Mono from me! I program in C# for my day job, so I have no problem with Mono and what it provides to GNU/Linux, but I do have a problem with installing a big Mono package for just one tiny app...

MacUntu
April 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I can't justify the dependency requirements for just one app

I'm curious - are you running out of disk space, or why is this important to you? Personally I just choose the better alternative regardless of dependencies.

kaivalagi
April 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I'm curious - are you running out of disk space, or why is this important to you? Personally I just choose the better alternative regardless of dependencies.

I have 2.5TB of disk space so the space is not a concern. I am a developer and by that very nature I like a simple lean system, it's as simple as that...hence why I am running Arch. I'm taking nothing away from Ubuntu by the way, it's a great OS too.

The same applies to developing business systems, I wouldn't run a system for a specific business process that requires python, mono, haskell and ruby etc when I can use any one of those on it's own to get the job done.

If you want to install Mono for one app that's totally up to you, I won't say your wrong cause your not, especially if you like that app and don't want to use any alternatives...it's your choice after all.

Any way I've said what I wanted to say, have fun :)

splicerr
April 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah this is always the first thing I do, remove all the mono crud and replace Tomboy with Gnote. Whether it's 'lagging behind' Tomboy or not, I don't really care. Gnote suits my needs perfectly. It's kind of odd though that somebody wanting to remove mono immediately gets jumped on by people from the mono camp, and has to justify his decision.

Please don't remove it mono it's awesome! Come on now, mono programs are so much better than their non-mono counterparts! Surely you can miss the extra disk space!

LOL, they are getting desperate.

:lolflag:

23meg
April 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The question has been answered, so this thread has served its purpose. There are better places to share your opinions of Mono, if that's what you want to do.

cariboo907
April 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Seeing as this thread is marked as solved. There is no need for any more comments. Closed.

Edit: It seems 23meg beat me to it. :)