PDA

View Full Version : OS Comparison (Win/Lin/OSX) PDF

murderslastcrow
April 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
This is the 1st Revision of my Windows/Linux/OS X comparison, in the form of a PDF.

I hear a lot of generalized arguments used by people who haven't used Linux or OS X about how Windows is "just the best, just look at the numbers," and Mac users pretending that Linux is just a free rip off of OS X (which isn't a winning argument anyway, since most consumers think OS X is pretty awesome XD).

I'm putting this document together to have a clearer comparison of these Operating Systems, side by side.

If you have any ideas for sections I should add, revise, or if you have any problems with how I stated a certain section, please tell me what you think! I want to have a consistent flow and concise statements to make this easily readable by any computer user.

I'm posting this here first since Linux users seem more open to using multiple Operating Systems- in most cases, Linux wasn't their first OS.

I expect you to be open minded and realistic in your comments, and not to bring Microsoft/Apple/FOSS-lover hate into the argument, unless it has real relevance to the issues at hand (like Microsoft's initial business policies). I don't want this to be seen as "some Linux user's attempt to get back at MS and Apple." Honesty is the best policy, and I think we need to be honest with ourselves if we want to be respected as a community.

Bachstelze
April 3rd, 2010, 12:49 AM
Crapware: None? I could name some, but then people would say I'm trolling.

"It falls short, however, in that there are no trusted repositories to safely install software from."

#define TRUSTED ?

blur xc
April 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
May the flamewar begin!

#1 - Your section on Ubuntu iPod support isn't 100% accurate. Though you can sync your media in the iPhone in Ubuntu as on 10.04, you still cannot (correct me if I'm wrong) access the iTunes app store, back up your contacts, messages, installed apps, or update your iPhone OS w/o iTunes. You can browse for apps on the iPhone itself, but it's not as nice as the iTunes interface. And I'm in no way saying that iTunes is a great program, or that I like it in any way.

#2- Open Office compatibility isn't 100% perfect w/ Windows Office documents. It's misleading to say that a new Linux user can just fire up open office and expect to read all their ms office documents w/o problems. Some documents may just explode do to formatting and font rendering problems, which have been discussed here in many threads.

BM

NoaHall
April 3rd, 2010, 12:53 AM
How on Earth could you forget servers under "Most Commonly Seen"?

Get rid of the Crapware section.

Linux is the most secure for the CORE SYSTEM FILES. Not for USER files. Not at all.

kgarbutt
April 3rd, 2010, 12:54 AM
murder, nice work. very comprehensive. I enjoyed reading it.

NightwishFan
April 3rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
The document is organized and nice looking, and was made with free software I will give you that. ;)

I will wait for flame war to simmer before I make any constructive comments to how you might improve it. My opinion before I finish it is, you will need to cite sources to stop people in their tracks.

murderslastcrow
April 3rd, 2010, 02:28 AM
Lol, I realized that the crapware section is largely biased, since no software is utterly perfect, just very near it. I may uproot it entirely and replace it with a section on Minimum Requirements.

Also, I was going to mention Servers AND the Apps for iPods but my circuits cut short as I was writing it- thanks for the reminders!

Also, I would have to say that I'm one of those who've been misled by OpenOffice proponents, and since reading your comment have noticed that a few exportable documents in MS Office 2007 have no support at all under OpenOffice, and I've read some macros don't translate well with the latest docx formats.

I'll revise this tonight and put up another version- thanks for your input so far, and for being reasonable.

P.S. By trusted I mean that we have PGP keys to verify software in the repos that has been reviewed for malicious code. On OS X you still have to run around downloading from websites that may or may not be trustworthy.

murderslastcrow
April 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
Of course, sources are incredibly important. I will add them from as neutral of sources I can find.