PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] server remote desktop

Papa Oso
April 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have a pc running ubuntu 9.10 and another one running ubuntu 9.10 server with ubuntu desktop (im a rookie). From the machine running server Im able to log an remote manage the ubuntu machine but when i try to do it backward the server don't even appear in the menu. Im using the remote desktop viewer that came with the desktop. On the server Im using zoneminder what I can log-on and manage from the PC and also share the printer that is conected to the server. What can be happen?

Thanks in advance.

guessswh0
April 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
trust me, it can be challenging, but just take the desktop off of the server and force yourself to do it all command line. It will take a little while longer initially, but you will learn so much more.

Papa Oso
April 3rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
trust me, it can be challenging, but just take the desktop off of the server and force yourself to do it all command line. It will take a little while longer initially, but you will learn so much more.

I understand, GUI is very imitating but if I can't access remotely from the pc to the server with the console will be the same. Any one with an idea what can be wrong?

megahost
April 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
So if you need to remotely connect to a server from your ubuntu computer, you can always connect via SSH. You can do that by using the connect to server application under places, or with SSH in the terminal.

sudo aptitude install ssh

Use the IP of the server through the shell, and it will ask for log in and password.

nerr
April 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM

Agreed. Install ssh, log in, and start reading and playing around. You'll learn quickly what works, what doesn't, and how to maintain your server. In a day or two, given the time, you'll be confident enough to really dig in and enjoy what the command line is capable of.

haddog
April 3rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have a pc running ubuntu 9.10 and another one running ubuntu 9.10 server with ubuntu desktop (im a rookie). From the machine running server Im able to log an remote manage the ubuntu machine but when i try to do it backward the server don't even appear in the menu. Im using the remote desktop viewer that came with the desktop. On the server Im using zoneminder what I can log-on and manage from the PC and also share the printer that is conected to the server. What can be happen?

Thanks in advance.

I ssh in to my ubuntu lucid lynx 10.04 server from a command prompt using this format:

ssh user@serveripaddress

so for me it is:

ssh myubuntusrvr@192.168.1.15

you will then be asked for the user password.

btw. I typed ifconfig from a terminal prompt get the ip address for my server. I also installed xubuntu-desktop on the server, but I am going to uninstall the gui. Real men don't use a gui on their servers do they? ;-)