PDA

View Full Version : I have donated my life's savings to the FSF

Tristam Green
April 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM
In an effort to bring the message of the one real and true Freedom in the world (Software Freedom), I have donated my entire life's savings to the Free Software Foundation. The amount is meager, only $500, but still; that's all I've got and I'm showing my support for REAL Freedom (that's capitalized, which is dissimilar in nature to that lowercase, lesser, freedom with an "f").

Mono is to be reviled, rms be exalted.

- TG

Giant Speck
April 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
And where do you get this extra money from? Your weekly checks from Microsoft?

Tristam Green
April 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
And where do you get this extra money from? Your weekly checks from Microsoft?

"Blood Money" is what I call it now. Hopefully they won't look down on my contribution.

Giant Speck
April 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
"Blood Money" is what I call it now. Hopefully they won't look down on my contribution.
It is surely tainted. I'd be willing to bet the money is actually printed on orders to appear in court for violations of Microsoft patents. You best be careful, brother.

RiceMonster
April 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
I commend you for your contributions.

I was going to buy a laptop, but instead I donated the money to the FSF.

phrostbyte
April 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Why donate to the F$F? Are you some kind of F$F $hill?

You could have bought one copy of Windows 7 instead. That's what I would have done. Windows rox man.

Grenage
April 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Kudos ^^

Simian Man
April 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
A couple friends and I are planning on robbing a Microsoft office near here. We're going to sell everything we net and give the proceeds to Free Software, like a modern day Robin Hood and his Merry Men. If anybody wants to join in we're looking for people with experience in light demolitions. PM me.

chucky chuckaluck
April 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I think I'd have to know much of the money actually went towards freeing software and not to some telemarketer before I could make such a donation.

phrostbyte
April 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think I'd have to know much of the money actually went towards freeing software and not to some telemarketer before I could make such a donation.

Well it's better if it goes to a telemarketer then the communists over at the F$F.

Grenage
April 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
A couple friends and I are planning on robbing a Microsoft office near here. We're going to sell everything we net and give the proceeds to Free Software, like a modern day Robin Hood and his Merry Men. If anybody wants to join in we're looking for people with experience in light demolitions. PM me.

My fee is low, and my ethics lacking; sign me up.

Meep3D
April 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM

Yeah, the telemarketers should record their marketing pitch and release it under a libre license so that other people (including the people receiving the call) can improve and redistribute it. Non-free telemarketing is slavery!

tom66
April 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
How did communism get into this discussion?!

Meep3D
April 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM

There are certain aspects of the Free Software movement that mirror the communist approach on certain things (including the idea of communal ownership).

Not that there is anything wrong with communism - if you can actually get it to work.

Giant Speck
April 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM

It's called "phrostbyte overdoes satire".

3rdalbum
April 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Well done. I wouldn't have the guts to leave my bank account completely dry. I don't have much banked away (recently had to spend a lot of money on something) but I've donated probably around $500 on things. I donated some money to Gnome and KDE, some to Canonical, some to the Openshot Video Editor and quite a bit to Helios for their various "Linux against poverty" projects.

Oh, and I donated $150 to my own programming project, to force myself to work on it for a bit :-)

Meep3D
April 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM
I donated 80 to Microsoft - and got a copy of Window 7 for free! Bonus!

:popcorn:

phrostbyte
April 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
i donated 80 to microsoft - and got a copy of window 7 for free! Bonus!

Good job! :)

kellemes
April 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM

Guess they forgot to mention you don't own the copy at all.
Too many restrictions..

RiceMonster
April 1st, 2010, 02:51 PM

I will be there

tgalati4
April 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
</april fools>

sandyd
April 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM
i donate 5% of my paycheck to OSPs...

doas777
April 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I just donated all my money to repress and oppress the masses. those darn masses, always wanting somthing... "feed me, I'm hungry", "clothe me, I'm cold", "hey, stop stepping on my neck". it's downright disgusting.

whiskeylover
April 1st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Can we merge all these April Fool threads into one super thread?

RiceMonster
April 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
Can we merge all these April Fool threads into one super thread?

April fools?

aaaantoine
April 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM

Is that the version where they only allow you to open a single Window instead of multiple Windows?

Ric_NYC
April 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
If you believe in the Cause (Cause with a capital letter... like the "Force" etc)... donate as much as you can.

sudoer541
April 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I donated all my savings, organs, my house and my mom to FSF!!!

DeadSuperHero
April 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
and my mom to FSF!!!
Aye, she is a feisty one. I expect many little GNU babies running around any day now.

Giant Speck
April 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Aye, she is a feisty one. I expect many little GNU babies running around any day now.

Um... no. RMS doesn't like babies, remember?

DeadSuperHero
April 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Um... no. RMS doesn't like babies, remember?

They're not his.

NCLI
April 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Just to join in on this e-peen fest, I donated 1500 USD to Gnome a few weeks ago.

juancarlospaco
April 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
nice, a lot of BSD licenced proyects will die silently...

sudoer541
April 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM

since she is donated, she comes with a proprietary licence!!!
So at the end the babies will take over the FSF ...yikes!!!!:o:P

our proprietary licence says, donations indicate that you accept the license agreement automatically!