PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to wireless network.

Ncshipman
April 1st, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hi everyone,

This is baffling me but I am easily baffled/baffeld? I carefully followed these instructions to install a a working driver http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=760568. It all went fine, my wireless light came on and it detected my wireless network.

I know my WPA2 code (I can connect on the same computer in windows 7) and my keyring code. but I still can't connect it whirs away for quite a while before giving up and saying not connected.

Any ideas?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 and the router is Thomson Bebox.

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID: off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management: off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lspci | grep Network
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

chili555
April 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Does it connect easily if you remove encryption for a few moments? Does it connect if you use WPA and, while it is trying to connect, do in a terminal?
sudo renice +19 $(pidof wpa_supplicant)

Ncshipman
April 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hey thanks for reply,
Unfortunately I can't disable the WAP as I don't know the Username or Password for the Router (the default doesn't work). And the code printed this:
923: old priority 0, new priority 19

but didn't let me connect :-(

Ncshipman
April 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Ok I'm now connected. After having typed in that code you told me to it connected on about the 4th attempt. I had also changed mode from infrastructure to ad hoc but looking at it again after connecting its definitely on infrastructure again? Anyway in short I think you fixed it thanks!

Ncshipman
April 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Ok I still have issues. It is only connecting once every 20 times or so?

chili555
April 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
I was afraid you'd say that you did connect with that code. There is evidently a quirk in the way ndiswrapper, Broadcom Windows drivers and wpa_supplicant work. I worked with another poster here for a week until we finally worked out the solution. Here is the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1432436

The fix starts at about post #44 and continues to about #56 - 60. Are you ready to begin?

If your card's pci.id is 14e4:4311, I believe you can get it going with the STA driver and bypass ndiswrapper. Have you tried that? Find out with:
lspci -nn