PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Setting up server to manage network.

undecim
March 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have a server on my home network. It's currently running a DNS server (bind9) and an HTTP caching server (squid).

What I would like to do is redirect all outgoing port 80 connections to the squid server and also make the server responsible for managing DHCP on the network.

Do I just need to install a DHCP daemon on the server, disable it on the router, then set my server as the default gateway and configure iptables to route all connections like I want? Or is it more complicated than that?

Also, would that mean that all communication between two computers on the network will go through the server?

Iowan
April 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
I'm fond of DNSMasq as a combination DNS/DHCP server. Proxy (squid) is still on my "not yet tried" list. If the server connects to a switch (on the LAN side) communication between two machines on the LAN side wouldn't necessarily go through server (although the server might be involved in name lookup).

theozzlives
April 1st, 2010, 12:16 AM
I would think you could setup Port forwarding in your router. Just use the router for DHCP.

undecim
April 1st, 2010, 12:25 AM
I would think you could setup Port forwarding in your router. Just use the router for DHCP.

It's not port forwarding that I need. If a computer on my network goes to www.google.com, I want it to connect to the squid (192.168.1.x:8080) instead. As far as I can tell, my router won't do this (its a linksys WRT120N, if anything with a similar model knows how to do this; also, OpenWRT is too big for this router without some hardhacks, so that's out of the question.)

I should also point out that this server has only 1 NIC, so it will connect through the router anyways, but I still want to take advantage of squid's caching capabilities.

undecim
April 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm fond of DNSMasq as a combination DNS/DHCP server. Proxy (squid) is still on my "not yet tried" list. If the server connects to a switch (on the LAN side) communication between two machines on the LAN side wouldn't necessarily go through server (although the server might be involved in name lookup).

So if my server has DNSMasq properly configured, and I disable the DHCP server on my router, I should be good?

** consults DNSMasq documentation **

fang0654
April 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM
You can always block all outbound 80/443 traffic from any IP except the proxy server on the router. That prevents users from just bypassing the proxy by disabling it. We do this with DNS and OpenDNS, to keep people from just specifying their own DNS servers to get around content blocks.

undecim
April 1st, 2010, 01:17 AM
You can always block all outbound 80/443 traffic from any IP except the proxy server on the router. That prevents users from just bypassing the proxy by disabling it. We do this with DNS and OpenDNS, to keep people from just specifying their own DNS servers to get around content blocks.

I don't mind people on the network getting around it. In fact, a way to easily bypass the proxy would be a plus. There's no filter at all, just the performance boost from caching external web pages.

fang0654
April 1st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Ahh, scratch that then!

hscomp2002
April 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I got the same problem !!!
help plz

Iowan
April 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I got the same problem !!!
help plzMight I recommend you start a separate thread and reference (link to ) this one for information?

confusedstingray
April 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
from what you are trying you might look in to this tutorial
http://www.howtoforge.com/squid-proxy-server-on-ubuntu-9.04-server-with-dansguardian-clamav-and-wpad-proxy-auto-detection
this uses most of what you have installed already
just a suggestion