PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless confusion

Tomween1
March 30th, 2010, 11:25 PM
OK I have installed and un-installed 3 different versions of Ubuntu. My forth is a re-install of v9.10. During all these installs I have had difficulty getting my wifi to work.

During my last install I left the ISO in the drive by mistake so when the system rebooted it loaded from the disc in demo.... This was interesting because in the demo the program manager showed 2 drives for wireless, 1 Broadcom STA and 2 Broadcom b43xx. I tried loading the STA AND IT WORKED! (sorry it could have been the b43xx, for the time being it's insignificant) Upon my excitement I restarted the computer and removed the disk went to my Ubuntu set up and ...what the Broadcom choices weren't there:confused: Why?

Now I am running Win 7 Home 32bit on my main drive and have Ubuntu loaded on its own drive. I have a Netgear WN311b wireless N card installed. Again my confusion is why it worked in demo (off the cd) but doesn't from full install.

I read on the web to try inserting my supplied disc from Netgear and then search program manager. It now showed the two for-mentioned Broadcom programs, but this time wouldn't install them. On the b43 I got an error message and on the STA it searched extracting and loading this continued for a 1/2 hour with no progression. I couldn't close the PM or the extracting and loading box, so I had to restart the computer.

I still don't have wireless and after three weeks of trying I'm about ready to throw in the towel:frown:

Any assistance would be appreciated,

Tom

2hot6ft2
March 31st, 2010, 12:19 AM
Instead of reinstalling again try fixing it.
Connect to a wired connection so you can get drivers and updates.
Open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run

sudo apt-get update
Then go to
System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
and see if there's a driver available

Since you mentioned Broadcom STA and Broadcom b43xx you may find your solution here:
The Definitive 9.10 Broadcom Solution Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699)

If all that fails then
Open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run

If internal PCI

lspci
That's LSPCI in lower case, and post the results.

If it's a USB adapter

lsusb
That's LSUSB in lower case, and post the results.

Tomween1
March 31st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Your steps are appreciated, however, my dilemma is a wired connection. 1 I'm handicapped, 2 my system is on ground floor and all inter-net connections are on third floor. I haven't the ability to move computer to this level. Do I have the ability to download drivers to accomplish what you've suggested?

I am still confused as to why I was able to get the Demo to hook to the net but can't do the same w/ full version. Can the drivers that make the Demo work, be transferred from Demo to full, on the ISO disc?

Thank you, Tom

bkratz
March 31st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Your steps are appreciated, however, my dilemma is a wired connection. 1 I'm handicapped, 2 my system is on ground floor and all inter-net connections are on third floor. I haven't the ability to move computer to this level. Do I have the ability to download drivers to accomplish what you've suggested?

I am still confused as to why I was able to get the Demo to hook to the net but can't do the same w/ full version. Can the drivers that make the Demo work, be transferred from Demo to full, on the ISO disc?

Thank you, Tom

The link provided previously tells you how to install those drivers without wired access directly from the Live CD.

Here is the link again

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699

Tomween1
March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
My greatest apologies, I will try these steps.

bkratz
March 31st, 2010, 03:06 PM
My greatest apologies, I will try these steps.

Believe me there is nothing to apologize about! Good Luck, hopefully we will soon hear good news.

Tomween1
March 31st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately no luck. The steps given, I had already tried, I know, I know your response to this... I re installed Ubuntu. I did this because the previous time I tried this step, I had tried installing both b43 and STA both not working and wouldn't let me uninstall. So I re loaded 9.10. I tried the steps again, this time when it came time to search the cd it asked me to install cd in cd drive.... It was already there and showing on on the desktop. I let it search for 20 min or so and nothing happened. When I canceled out, of course I got the error of non installation.

So here is the info requested

familypc@ubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce 750a LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SMBus (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Co-Processor (rev a2)
00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (non-AHCI mode) (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP77 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:12.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:13.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K10 [Opteron, Athlon64, Sempron] Link Control
01:06.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev c0)
02:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Device 05b1 (rev a2)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Device 05b1 (rev a2)
03:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Device 05b1 (rev a2)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GTX] (rev a2)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
07:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller (rev 03)
07:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 AHCI Controller (rev 03)
08:00.0 PCI bridge: Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG PCI to PCIe Bridge
09:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG
familypc@ubuntu:~$

bkratz
March 31st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Not really sure if it will be of any help, but

http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347545

they kept saying they got it working here. Still googling.

Tomween1
March 31st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Well it looks like I have a tough road ahead of me:mad:. I'm still curious as to why the demo found and offered the correct drivers to make the inter net work! It makes no sense that the demo works but the full does not! Any thoughts as to why this happens?

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Well it looks like I have a tough road ahead of me:mad:. I'm still curious as to why the demo found and offered the correct drivers to make the inter net work! It makes no sense that the demo works but the full does not! Any thoughts as to why this happens?

From what I understand ( and I am often wrong!) the driver is made available, but is actually proprietary and can't be directly included. ( I'm sure i will be corrected soon! ) Anyway, further searching seems to indicate that the correct driver was the STA version. It is available here

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

read the readme first. It is well explained, but may be more that you want to try.
Anyway, how about going to the terminal Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal and copy/paste the outputs of the following back here.

sudo lshw -C network
sudo iwlist scan
iwconfig
lsmod

Those a lowercase L not 1's. Please post these with the use of the code tags (#) for readability.

Forgot you don't have ethernet, however you are communicating you can simply use a usb key and do something like this

You can convert your terminal output to a text document easily:

sudo lshw -C network > lshw.txt

Then you will find a text document in your /home/user directory, in this case lshw.txt, which you can drag-n-drop onto a flash drive and see it in Windows with, IIRC, wordpad repeat with different names for each of those above.

chili555
April 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
If we knew the pci.id, we would be able to confirm that the device works with the STA driver module, wl. Please let us see:
lspci -nn | grep NetworkThe STA driver is on the install CD.

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
If we knew the pci.id, we would be able to confirm that the device works with the STA driver module, wl. Please let us see:
lspci -nn | grep NetworkThe STA driver is on the install CD.

It is this one

01:06.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)

chili555
April 1st, 2010, 12:50 AM
If the pci.id is 14e4:4329, it works with wl, which can be installed from the CD.
$ modinfo wl | grep 4329
alias: pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i*

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM
If the pci.id is 14e4:4329, it works with wl, which can be installed from the CD.
$ modinfo wl | grep 4329
alias: pci:v000014E4d00004329sv*sd*bc*sc*i*

Sorry to trouble you Dr. chili, but he already tried that(earlier)

Unfortunately no luck. The steps given, I had already tried, I know, I know your response to this... I re installed Ubuntu. I did this because the previous time I tried this step, I had tried installing both b43 and STA both not working and wouldn't let me uninstall. So I re loaded 9.10. I tried the steps again, this time when it came time to search the cd it asked me to install cd in cd drive.... It was already there and showing on on the desktop. I let it search for 20 min or so and nothing happened. When I canceled out, of course I got the error of non installation.

Do you know what would be the likely cause of this?

@Tomween1
Did you go to system>>Administration>>Software sources and put a check mark in install from CD?

Tomween1
April 1st, 2010, 01:34 AM
Well that's all good stuff, a lot to digest.

1st- Yes I have inter-net connection on this computer. I keep switching between Win 7 and Ubuntu. Gotta do what I gotta do!

2- In the forum link forwarded to me by bkratz I noticed a similar problem I too am having, The hardware download screen it shows the STA version in the box, I highlight it to apply it and the system freezes, the same thing happened to the person in the link.... There wasn't a resolve to this.

3- I will be back at this tomorrow and attempt to forward the info requested.

4- Would it be a good idea to, yet burn another ISO in case of corruption? Or let it go and continue from where we are now?

5- How do I get the STA drive out of the Hardware Update (I think that's what it's called) so my new attempts aren't stopped do to overlap.

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 01:37 AM
Well that's all good stuff, a lot to digest.

1st- Yes I have inter-net connection on this computer. I keep switching between Win 7 and Ubuntu. Gotta do what I gotta do!

2- In the forum link forwarded to me by bkratz I noticed a similar problem I too am having, The hardware download screen it shows the STA version in the box, I highlight it to apply it and the system freezes, the same thing happened to the person in the link.... There wasn't a resolve to this.

3- I will be back at this tomorrow and attempt to forward the info requested.

4- Would it be a good idea to, yet burn another ISO in case of corruption? Or let it go and continue from where we are now?

5- How do I get the STA drive out of the Hardware Update (I think that's what it's called) so my new attempts aren't stopped do to overlap.

Sorry to be taking so long, but I don't think you need to burn a new disk yet. Can you answer my last question before retiring?

Tomween1
April 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM
@Tomween1
Did you go to system>>Administration>>Software sources and put a check mark in install from CD?[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, no I didn't! Never saw that step. Well check into that tomorrow! It would be to sweet if that were it\\:D/\\:D/

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 01:42 AM
@Tomween1
Did you go to system>>Administration>>Software sources and put a check mark in install from CD?

As a matter of fact, no I didn't! Never saw that step. Well check into that tomorrow! It would be to sweet if that were it\\:D/\\:D/[/QUOTE]

I think that is all it is! Post with good news tomorrow.

Tomween1
April 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
bkratz, after I left my message last night I thought about your question (I was extremely tired at that point) and yes I do check that box! That's one of those annoyances I have found. Even though the disc shows on the desktop, when you click on Apply (on the selected river) the system asks you to insert the cd into the cd drive! I'll be getting back to the desktop soon and I'll start going over the questions poised yesterday.

Tomween1
April 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
:popcorn:
OK all went swimmingly, however I have been left with more questions. Here's the low down on my standings.

I reformatted the drive I had Ubuntu installed on and rebooted the computer, booting directly from the Ubuntu CD. I preformed a full install from the disc and not through Windows. This proved to be the solution. I now have all facilities, except sound, working.

Here's the dilemma. Now on start up of computer, I don't get a dual boot choice I get a Ubunto/Linux menu that includes 2 Window 7 choice's. I much prefer the dual boot Window priority boot.

Why did the system change itself like this and can I change back to the standard Dual boot set up?

Sorry I realize this is no longer a wireless issue, and if need be I will relocate this post.

Thanks, Tom

bkratz
April 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM
:popcorn:
OK all went swimmingly, however I have been left with more questions. Here's the low down on my standings.

I reformatted the drive I had Ubuntu installed on and rebooted the computer, booting directly from the Ubuntu CD. I preformed a full install from the disc and not through Windows. This proved to be the solution. I now have all facilities, except sound, working.

Here's the dilemma. Now on start up of computer, I don't get a dual boot choice I get a Ubunto/Linux menu that includes 2 Window 7 choice's. I much prefer the dual boot Window priority boot.

Why did the system change itself like this and can I change back to the standard Dual boot set up?

Sorry I realize this is no longer a wireless issue, and if need be I will relocate this post.

Thanks, Tom

Sorry you had to re-install, but it sounds like it was worth it. Anyway, I know little about the new grub, but I am curious did you also reinstall Windows? Since you reformatted it should have been gone unless you were very careful about partitioning correctly. If you did reinstall Windows, which did you install first? I know that Windows 7 is really picky about sharing any credit, not like XP, and if you did it second it probably destroyed grub.

For the sound issue I would post it in the Multimedia forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334

For the grub issue, you might check the installation forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

I just looked there and it seems a lot of people have virtually the same type of problem.

Anyway, I am glad you got your wireless issues worked out relatively painlessly and trust you will have the same luck with the other forums.

Oh, you might want to go to the thread tools and select [solved] in case it helps someone else.

Just found this in the installation forum--kinda interesting

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1444436

Tomween1
April 1st, 2010, 10:25 PM
bkratz thanks for your help. I now have much bigger problems to solve. I removed Ubuntu now my Disk is haywire. Upon booting I now get GRUB loading error unknown filesystem.

As they say, when it rains it pours.

To answer your last query, I did partition the disk and it was only the partition I formatted. I had Windows up until I removed Ubuntu:-k