PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows vista cannot access smbshare

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I am having an issue setting up (or rather accessing) a samba share, I have installed samba and created a share a follows:

[smbshare]
comment = 1TB Drive Share
path = /media/1TB\ EXT\ eSATA/SMBshare
browsable = yes
read only = no

I then added a user to the server using:

sudo useradd smbuser --shell /bin/false

and then added this to the smbuser list with:

sudo smbpasswd -a smbuser

So everything seems to work fine here, I can see the server from my windows vista laptop, open the server and see the shared folder, but when I try to open the folder I enter username 'smbuser' and password 'xxxxxx' and get a windows error saying "not accessible you might not have permission to use this service"

I have even tried to set this up as a public share with full guest privileges and get the same error, any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

98cwitr
March 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
both machines on the same WORKGROUP?

Morbius1
March 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
path = /media/1TB\ EXT\ eSATA/SMBshareWhat are the file permissions on that path? ( ls -dl /media/... )

And how is that mount point that contains that share formatted?

File sharing permissions come in pairs. Samba determines who may have access, Linux file permissions determines who can have access.

If it's an EXT3/4 formatted partition then issuing a chmod 0777 to the path of the mount point should resolve the issue.

If it's an NTFS partition then adding the following line is one way to fix it:

[smbshare]
browsable = yes
read only = no
force user = morbiusChange morbius to your local login user name

EDIT: And don't forget to restart samba: sudo service samba restart

What that will do is act as a mask converting the remote user to you as far as that share is concerned.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

98cwitr: Yes the machines are in the same workgroup

Morbius1:

File permissions are:

daniel@tesla-sci:/var/lib/samba$ ls -dl /media/1TB\ EXT\ eSATA/SMBshare/
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 18:19 /media/1TB EXT eSATA/SMBshare/

The format is NTFS, so I added 'force user = daniel' to the end of the share.

Still getting the same error :(

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
OK, so just as a test I created a new share which is not on an NTFS drive, just on the native filesystem:

[testshare]
comment = Test Share
path = /home/daniel/sharetest
browsable = yes
read only = no

This share works fine (although I still need to get the other one working)

Morbius1
March 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
That's interesting.

drwx------ 1 daniel daniel
That's definitely the problem. Only daniel can access the target directory.

The format is NTFS, so I added 'force user = daniel' to the end of the share.
And that should have fixed it.

I assume you restarted the samba service?

If you did can you post the output of the following two commands please:

net usershare info
testparm -s

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, the service was restarted after force user was added. Here's the output of those commands as requested:

daniel@tesla-sci:~$ net usershare info
daniel@tesla-sci:~$ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[smbshare]"
Processing section "[testshare]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[smbshare]
force user = daniel
read only = No

[testshare]
comment = Test Share
path = /home/daniel/sharetest
read only = No
daniel@tesla-sci:~$

Morbius1
March 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I just did a little experiment and created the following share:

[Documents and Settings]
path = /windows/D/Documents and Settings
writeable = no
browseable = yes
guest ok = yesIt works just fine. Then I did it this way:

[Documents and Settings]
path = /windows/D/Documents\ and\ Settings
writeable = no
browseable = yes
guest ok = yesIt won't let me in. I understand why you used the "\" for spaces and any reasonable person would have thought that was the way it should be done. Try it with out it and see if it makes any difference.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Oddly enough, if I remove the '\'s then I can't even open the server from the windows computer! Strange that it should work for you but not for me.

Just as a workaround I'm going to rename the drive to something without spaces...although I am still curious as to why it doesn't work.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM
OMFG.... changed the partition name to 1TBext, then changed the share description in smb.conf to reflect this, restarted samba... and I'm still getting the same error?!

The test share still works.

edit: I have a feeling this has to do with the permissions associated with the drive, which it doesn't seem to want to let me change:

daniel@tesla-sci:/media/1TBext$ ls -l
total 32
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 20:46 incoming
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2008-12-30 00:57 ISO
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2009-04-05 18:54 media
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 19:33 repository
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 18:19 SMBshare
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 32768 2009-11-28 17:13 sort
daniel@tesla-sci:/media/1TBext$ sudo chmod a+rw ./SMBshare/
daniel@tesla-sci:/media/1TBext$ ls -l
total 32
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 20:46 incoming
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2008-12-30 00:57 ISO
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2009-04-05 18:54 media
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 19:33 repository
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 0 2010-03-30 18:19 SMBshare
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 32768 2009-11-28 17:13 sort
daniel@tesla-sci:/media/1TBext$

edit2: actually that's obvious as it's NTFS, but the force-user, as you said, should take care of that... still stumped.

Morbius1
March 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Damn, there isn't some kind of on-board encryption mechanism or something like that on that device is there?

From the Vista Machine:

Open Command Prompt
Type net view \\tesla-sci

I'm guessing that's the correct machine name. See if it gives you a better error message.

Edit: didn't see your edit. You can't change ntfs permissions using chmod. You can only change permissions using a mount or in fstab. With the force user you shouldn't need to change permissions. If you can access the device as daniel so should the remote user.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I didn't see your post until just now, as I was hitting refresh on the original thread but it's gone to page 2 and I didn't notice.. doh.

I'll check the vista machine now and let you know.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
output is here:

C:\Users\Voltaic>net view \\tesla-sci
Shared resources at \\tesla-sci

tesla-sci server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------
smbshare Disk (UNC) 1TB Drive Share
Stylus-SX200 Print EPSON Stylus SX200
testshare Disk (UNC) Test Share
The command completed successfully.

Morbius1
March 30th, 2010, 11:02 PM
This one's got me stumped.

If Vista couldn't access any shares it would be a different matter.

There's something about the esata drive that I just can't figure out. I've been thinking of it as an external USB drive. Maybe there's something I'm not familiar with about esata that's preventing sharing but for the life of me I don't know what that is.

I'll see what I can find out about this and report back - have to start on it tomorrow though. Sorry.

voltaic
March 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hopefully you catch this before you think about it too mich - it was labelled as an eSATA drive but it;s actually a SATA drive in a USB dock.. so it is USB.

Thanks for all the help thus far, I'll work on it through the night and I sort it out I'll post back to let you know.

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 12:55 AM
YYYYAAAASSSS!!!!!111

ok solved it, although it's a bit messy and I need to clean it up and do it through fstab rather than manually, but here is my fix:

daniel@tesla-sci:~$ sudo mkdir /media/1TBext
daniel@tesla-sci:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/1TBext -t ntfs -r -o umask=0000

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 02:37 AM
Well I was too enthusiastic, this solution causes problems with local permissions, but I'm going to bed... back to it tomorrow.

Morbius1
March 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM
You know I thought about this overnight ( I have no real life ) and came to the same idea you did. Mount it manually to bypass the automount feature built into the system. I thought that maybe there was some kind of anomaly with eSata at the time. Since it's really USB this becomes even stranger.

There's a problem with your mount command, I think:

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/1TBext -t ntfs -r -o umask=0000 The "-r" option mount the filesystem as read-only
The umask=0000 mounts with read / write to everyone

Not sure which option has priority or if the system will ignore both but I would suggest getting rid of the "-r" option.

Just curious, Is this dirve in an enclosure that you placed your own drive into, or is it an off the shelf pre-assembled external drive? Maybe there's something about the enclosure that's gumming things up.

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM
haha I don't have any real life either so no judgement there. It's my own drive in an external enclosure, so there's no weird proprietary crap in there (that I know of anyway...). I'm not sure why I had the -r in there, other than that I was half asleep. I'm going to try it again without the -r and report back.

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
This works :)

but now there's another issue (joy) although I think this is probably a minor one, I'm just not sure about how to fix it; since it's an external drive the /dev/xxx is going to change randomly on reboots... for instance last night it was /dev/sdb but now (as I rebooted) it's /dev/sdd as there are other usb devices and it seems to assign them in a random order. Obviously this drive will need to have the same /dev/xxx name every time or I will not be able to add it to fstab, and although I could mount it manually every time I reboot, I'd rather not... any ideas?

Morbius1
March 31st, 2010, 02:18 PM
error

Morbius1
March 31st, 2010, 02:26 PM
I've got two you can try:

By Label:

sudo mount -L 1TBext /media/1TBext -t ntfs -o umask=0000 I generally don't like having the label and the mount point name match but linux does this by default when it automounts so ........

By UUID:

sudo mount -U 5D51B07367FFE9AD /media/1TBext -t ntfs -o umask=0000 The UUID number will be unique but will change if you reformat the drive.

You can find the UUID number by issuing the following command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

EDIT: The syntax in fstab is slightly different from this:

For example:

/dev/sdb1 /media/1TBext ntfs ....................

Becomes:

LABEL=1TBext /media/1TBext ntfs .......................
OR
UUID=5D51B07367FFE9AD /media/1TBext ntfs ..................

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Awesom, I've never really done much with fstab so just to make sure, is this what the entry should look like:

UUID=286C96716C963990 /media/1TBext ntfs auto,umask=0000 0 0

Thanks again for all your help on this :)

Morbius1
March 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Awesom, I've never really done much with fstab so just to make sure, is this what the entry should look like:

Thanks again for all your help on this :)

That should work. I prefer to use "defaults" to "auto" though.

Morbius1
March 31st, 2010, 04:31 PM
I should have mentioned this earlier but because of quirk in ntfs you will loose the ability of plug and play when you add an entry in fstab for an external USB device. Something to do with ntfs-3g and fuse or something like that. The external drive will have to be plugged in before you boot for this to work. If you plug it in after you will get an error.

If it were FAT32 you'd be able to add a line in fstab that has the "noauto" and "user" option:

LABEL=CORSAIR /home/morbius/CORSAIR vfat user,umask=007,utf8,flush,noauto 0 0Then when you plugged it in it would mount automatically to your mount point. This doesn't work with ntfs - you'll get a permissions error.

So for ntfs the external drive will have to be "on" before you boot.

voltaic
March 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
I should have mentioned this earlier but because of quirk in ntfs you will loose the ability of plug and play when you add an entry in fstab for an external USB device. Something to do with ntfs-3g and fuse or something like that. The external drive will have to be plugged in before you boot for this to work. If you plug it in after you will get an error.

If it were FAT32 you'd be able to add a line in fstab that has the "noauto" and "user" option:

LABEL=CORSAIR /home/morbius/CORSAIR vfat user,umask=007,utf8,flush,noauto 0 0Then when you plugged it in it would mount automatically to your mount point. This doesn't work with ntfs - you'll get a permissions error.

So for ntfs the external drive will have to be "on" before you boot.

Handy to know this, I don't think it should be a problem as the drive has it's own power supply and if I reboot the PC the drive will stay on. This is only a temporary set up anyway until I can get some cash set aside to build a standalone server.