PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Shell: Background Application Icons Missing

bhagwad
March 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm using Gnome Shell from the PPA with Lucid Lynx's beta. I really like it! But background applications like Transmission and Gwibber don't show in the system tray when minimized.

If I close transmission by clicking the "X" button, it disappears and is nowhere to be seen (even though the process is still running in System Monitor). Also, the sound speaker icon is missing in the top panel.

I'm currently working around this by placing these background apps in a new virtual desktop, but this doesn't allow me a quick and easy way to see the number of running apps - I might forget that one is running in the background without a visual reminder that it's there.

Are others using Lucid able to minimize transmission to the top panel with Gnome Shell? If not, is this a bug or by design?

c72578
August 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Background applications are usually shown on the right bottom corner of the activities overview.

aherbert01
January 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
Further more, the bottom right corner of the screen has a "hot corner" function which displays applications running in the nebulous "background". This corner functions much like the top left corner of the screen: Both are accessed by moving the mouse to the extreme of the respective corner. Hope this helps!