PDA

View Full Version : I am announcing my contribution to the Ubuntu community

SomethingXP
March 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I know this is not very Christian, and I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but I thought a heads up would be nice so yall can be ready for all the newbies. I purchased 400 blank CD-Rs and as soon as I can get 10.04 cd through shipit (my internet isnt the greatest), I am going to pass out 10.04 CDs to literally everyone I know and everyone I come across. I am also going to tell everyone I know about it. Ubuntu needs advertisement, I intend on doing just that. I think with more users, we might see more support from companies. I am going to leave a bunch at the local library with an instruction sheet and the Ubuntu support hotline and the forums address. I think we all should get involved and do just this. I mean Linux and Ubuntu has been here for us all this time and yet we are doing nothing to help others quite possibly get over the Windows migraine or rejuvenate an older PC instead of buying a new one. I really want to get involved and I can see Ubuntu spreading like wildfire, it just needs a push in the right direction.:KS

derekeverett
March 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I wish nothing but good luck. But if I could I would like to offer one little piece of advice...

Presenting folks with the option to check Ubuntu out is wonderful, as is informing them that the option even exists. But be careful that you don't ram it down peoples throats. That could backfire in a number of ways.

You wouldn't want to be "blamed" for folks loosing data etc. Many people don't have a good understanding about installs and mistakes are bound to happen.

Also, many people may not be in possession of the required rescue disks needed to restore Windows to their computers and may be unaware that they are even necessary. You could have some pretty irate folks at your doorstep if your not careful.

But if that is kept in mind and the appropriate precautions are taken I think it could be a good experience for you and hopefully some others. Again, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sef
March 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Crunchy the Headcrab
March 30th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I wish nothing but good luck. But if I could I would like to offer one little piece of advice...

Presenting folks with the option to check Ubuntu out is wonderful, as is informing them that the option even exists. But be careful that you don't ram it down peoples throats. That could backfire in a number of ways.

You wouldn't want to be "blamed" for folks loosing data etc. Many people don't have a good understanding about installs and mistakes are bound to happen.

Also, many people may not be in possession of the required rescue disks needed to restore Windows to their computers and may be unaware that they are even necessary. You could have some pretty irate folks at your doorstep if your not careful.

But if that is kept in mind and the appropriate precautions are taken I think it could be a good experience for you and hopefully some others. Again, good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Excellent points. I have to second what he said. Maybe you could leave instructions for how to try out the live cd without installing. You could also explain that the full install performs MUCH better.

SomethingXP
March 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Thank you for all the insight I will definitely do as you all say. Ubuntu has done so much for me so I figured this is the least I can do.

Doctor Mike
March 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Thank you for all the insight I will definitely do as you all say. Ubuntu has done so much for me so I figured this is the least I can do.Two quick suggestions. Test prospective systems with a live cd to assure basic operation. Also, don't offer beta releases...

praveesh
March 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Thank you for all the insight I will definitely do as you all say. Ubuntu has done so much for me so I figured this is the least I can do.

Would you mind sharing what Ubuntu has done so much to you?.

NightwishFan
March 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Cool, I hope someone can make use of those CDs. Make sure you verify each one before you distribute. I plan on doing similar, passive handouts to anyone that wants. I am going to buy a box here when 10.04 comes out.
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

realzippy
March 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe you know a nice round-the-corner computer dealer..can place
"for free" box there.

murderslastcrow
March 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
That's an awesome idea. If you want a professional and pre-burnt solution to this, I think Ubuntu sells CDs every new release in bundles of 200 or so. This way they could get the official cover and URLs to helpful areas.

AllRadioisDead
March 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM
How about no.

Lukeaxx
March 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Seems like a brilliant idea - but not ramming it down random peoples throats. The thing with Ubuntu is it could confuse alot of people, especially those who aren't very computer friendly, or those who have depended on Windows for simple tasks for their whole lives.

It would be best to do as others have said - Leave them in a box at a friendly computer store, saying For Free, and containing instructions, or at a library or something. Instructions on how to use the Live CD, and how to install without ******* up their data etc..

sdowney717
March 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Leave them in a box at a friendly computer store
that is key otherwise some MS fiend will toss them in the trash.
Do you think Google will advertise its new Google OS on its search page?
seeing how it is based on Ubuntu, perhaps you could convince more people to move to linux once it comes out.

MCVenom
March 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same, and I'd suggest others do also; the more awareness the better, right? :D

How about no.

Why not? It seems like an ok idea :p

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Set up a tailgate stand in the parking lot of best buy, then if they come after you, you can pack up quick and drive off! Hook a computer up to flatscreen to demo it as well. You wouldn't want someone to boot into it and think, "wtf is this?"

MCVenom
March 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Set up a tailgate stand in the parking lot of best buy, then if they come after you, you can pack up quick and drive off! Hook a computer up to flatscreen to demo it as well. You wouldn't want someone to boot into it and think, "wtf is this?"
It may be a bit dishonest, but if you set up a 'kiosk' display, Compiz it up a little ;)

After all, Compiz never ceases to amaze those who aren't familiar with it, and it is in the repos, right? :p

whiskeylover
March 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM

Thats the best advice so far.

forrestcupp
March 30th, 2010, 09:53 PM
So are you going to be passing out the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? If you use the 32-bit version, half the people will think it's pretty lame that it isn't even 64-bit. But if you pass out the 64-bit version, half the people will be mad that it doesn't even work on their computer.

If you go crazy like you're talking, people will respect you about as much as they do the Jehovah's Witnesses or Hare Krishnas. There's a right and wrong way to evangelize, whether you are talking about religion or Ubuntu or anything. You get to know a person, you care about them and their individual needs, you offer them a customized solution to their specific needs, and you don't get mad and look ridiculous if they refuse your offer. I've found that method has a lot more long term success than the crazy mass evangelism.

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM
It may be a bit dishonest, but if you set up a 'kiosk' display, Compiz it up a little ;)

After all, Compiz never ceases to amaze those who aren't familiar with it, and it is in the repos, right? :p Jiggly OpenGL windows if I was doing it, for Compiz never worked for me, nor do I wish to use it.

Thats the best advice so far.Thank you.

So are you going to be passing out the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? If you use the 32-bit version, half the people will think it's pretty lame that it isn't even 64-bit. But if you pass out the 64-bit version, half the people will be mad that it doesn't even work on their computer.

If you go crazy like you're talking, people will respect you about as much as they do the Jehovah's Witnesses or Hare Krishnas. There's a right and wrong way to evangelize, whether you are talking about religion or Ubuntu or anything. You get to know a person, you care about them and their individual needs, you offer them a customized solution to their specific needs, and you don't get mad and look ridiculous if they refuse your offer. I've found that method has a lot more long term success than the crazy mass evangelism.
If he went with my idea, he could hand out both 32 and 64.

SomethingXP
March 30th, 2010, 10:04 PM
lol I am not a dangerous fanboy but Ubuntu has since 6.04 worked nonstop for me without an issue only just recently upgrading to 9.10. I originally installed it as a joke with a friend to see what a distro that only supported Gnome can do, and it just stayed there out of general laziness lol and it kept all the pictures of my now 2 year old daughter since birth. Whenever I need a computer that simply worked there it was when Windows was giving me hassles on other computers I just sat them in a corner and this one was there to rescue me. 3 motherboards later and it is still rock solid and as fast as the day I installed it. Man some of that stuff sounds pretty funny lol. I might actually do the Best Buy thing because I am not getting any profit off of it and man it would really peeve them off lol.

forrestcupp
March 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Ubuntu has since 6.04 worked nonstop for me without an issue only just recently upgrading to 9.10.
What took you so long to join the forums?

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
lol I am not a dangerous fanboy but Ubuntu has since 6.04 worked nonstop for me without an issue only just recently upgrading to 9.10. I originally installed it as a joke with a friend to see what a distro that only supported Gnome can do, and it just stayed there out of general laziness lol and it kept all the pictures of my now 2 year old daughter since birth. Whenever I need a computer that simply worked there it was when Windows was giving me hassles on other computers I just sat them in a corner and this one was there to rescue me. 3 motherboards later and it is still rock solid and as fast as the day I installed it. Man some of that stuff sounds pretty funny lol. I might actually do the Best Buy thing because I am not getting any profit off of it and man it would really peeve them off lol.
good! I would do it myself but I don't have extra cd's... or some sort of stand to put them on... or a truck. *sigh*

SomethingXP
March 31st, 2010, 10:04 AM
What took you so long to join the forums?
I simply had no issues to ask about. I didnt have any problems that werent already solved by someone else.

Dayofswords
March 31st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Ubuntu needs advertisement, I intend on doing just that.

i was going to put a big sticker on the back and side windows of my car with the website underneath, big and readable

of course, first I'll need a drivers license and a car, technicalitys...

Maybe you know a nice round-the-corner computer dealer..can place
"for free" box there.

this sounds alot like AOL CDs... i wont recommend it, teenagers and all

NOTE: I'm still a teenager

fugazi32
March 31st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like a wicked idea, best of luck to you! :D

jetmech568
March 31st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Before I started I Googled "Why Linux is Better" there is a lot of info there and explains plenty of reasons to try any Linux OS