PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Youtube knocked out again

aasmith
March 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I'm running Karmic, Firefox 3.6, Flash 10.0.45.2.

Youtube got knocked out again--I see the video fine, but can't hear anything. It was like this before--several months ago. I don't remember exactly what I did to get it working, or if it just started when I downloaded Karmic or Jaunty.

About a week or two ago it stopped working again. Best guess is that it stopped when I installed a new version of Firefox...though it could have been some other installation that took it out.

There's a lot of outdated information out there on this particular problem. People (and even one of the descriptions in Synaptic) telling me to download packages that don't exist. I really don't know where to start. Is it Alsa, is it Pulse? How do those even interact with each other? How do I know which my computer is using? I don't want to try to reinstall one, only to find out that I should be using the other. Is there a good place for someone who doesn't know all these audio issues to learn?

Thanks,
Adam

byStanderone
March 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
...well i'd say it is firefox related (plugins), sometimes beyond the devs control,unless of course the legal issues behind are resolved!

2hot6ft2
March 30th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

3Miro
March 30th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Check the PCM settings under kMix.

aasmith
April 1st, 2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

The long FAQ had barely anything to say about Youtube. Flash seems to work fine, except Youtube. If there's anything more specific in there that might help, I don't know how to pick it out. Any specific thoughts?

PCM's set to maximum.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

aasmith
April 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
Dammit--I feel really stupid now. Especially given that I actually have a PhD in CS.

Youtube has a volume slider. Somehow when I upgraded, it got set to muted. Because I'd seen this as a real bug before, I assumed that's what it was this time.

Sorry to take up your time all. Thanks for the help.

Adam