PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SOCKS, SSH proxy problem in firefox

neeagl
March 30th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hi,

I have two machines.. one server (A) and client (B).. I have internet running on my server A which is using my university's proxy. Now I install openssh server on this machine A.

Now on the second client machine B, I started socks proxy using ssh -D 9999 username@machineA
and then setting up socksv5 in firefox proxy settings with 127.0.0.1 and localhost both and port number 9999

But its not working :(

However, after doing the ssh to the server machine, wget is working at the shell.

Please help me out.

dmizer
March 30th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Hi,

I have two machines.. one server (A) and client (B).. I have internet running on my server A which is using my university's proxy. Now I install openssh server on this machine A.

Now on the second client machine B, I started socks proxy using ssh -D 9999 username@machineA
and then setting up socksv5 in firefox proxy settings with 127.0.0.1 and localhost both and port number 9999

But its not working :(

However, after doing the ssh to the server machine, wget is working at the shell.

Please help me out.

You will also need to manually configure DNS servers when running through a socks SSH proxy. More information on how can be found here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/ubuntu

neeagl
April 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Tried that.. but didn't work.. :(

dmizer
April 2nd, 2010, 02:01 AM
Tried that.. but didn't work.. :(

How exactly did you configure the proxy settings in Firefox?