PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Belkin F5D7010

pycoed
March 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM
As a Linux newbie, trying to establish a Microshaft free zone & flushed with success after installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my home PC ( fine in every respect! , I've just installed Xubuntu 9.1 on an old Dell Inspiron 1150 with 768M RAM & am very happy with it too.

However, I have a weird problem with the wireless network card. Its a Belkin F5D7010 which Xubuntu recognised fine & connected OK. However even within 3 feet of my wireless router (a BT Home hub) it connects only at 1 mb/s & shows only 1 or 2 bars. This I can live with.
But periodically it will lose connection & will not renegatiate that connection. It asks for the WEP key, but will never re-connect. If I reboot, the connection is remade & all is well for an hour or two until the wireless link is lost, then I have to reboot again (it's like using bl**dy Windows 95!).
Any pointers as to how to remedy this would be highly appreciated!

inobe
March 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
welcome to the ubuntu forums.

i have the 7050 and i noticed when i'm too close to the router the signal weakens, i get 80% 20+ foot away.

also seems to work better using wpa2 rather than wep.

coffeecat
March 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
@pycoed, just to clarify - you do mean a F5D7010 which is a PCMCIA card? Not a F5D7050 which is a USB device? If you look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBelki n#PCMCIA

... you'll see that there are a number of different chipsets in the F5D7010 depending on the revision number. Don't take that link too literally. It's a bit neglected in the F5D7010 entries - last updated between 2006 to 2008. The Atheros ought to work out of the box now, I would have thought.

Anyway - we need to know the chipset. Post the terminal output of:

lspci | grep WirelessIf that doesn't give you anything, try:

lspci | grep 802.11

pycoed
March 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
welcome to the ubuntu forums.

i have the 7050 and i noticed when i'm too close to the router the signal weakens, i get 80% 20+ foot away.

also seems to work better using wpa2 rather than wep.

Well it doesn't seem to degrade any further when I move to the living room, about 25 feet away! But I never get above 1 bar on the little connection icon. I'll try WPA2 & see if it makes a difference. Cheers!

pycoed
March 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
@pycoed, just to clarify - you do mean a F5D7010 which is a PCMCIA card? Not a F5D7050 which is a USB device? If you look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBelki n#PCMCIA

... you'll see that there are a number of different chipsets in the F5D7010 depending on the revision number. Don't take that link too literally. It's a bit neglected in the F5D7010 entries - last updated between 2006 to 2008. The Atheros ought to work out of the box now, I would have thought.

Anyway - we need to know the chipset. Post the terminal output of:

lspci | grep WirelessIf that doesn't give you anything, try:

lspci | grep 802.11

Hi,
Yes it is the 7010 PCMCIA card version on Xubuntu 9.10 which did work out of the box - until it droppped connection - then only reboots seem to re-establish it
Can't get either of those commands to run, but "lspci" by itself returns two ethernet controllers, one is listed as
Broadcom Corporation BCM 4401 100Base-T (rev01)
& the other as
Belkin Device 701f (rev 20)

PCI bridge is listed as
Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)
Cheers!

coffeecat
March 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Can't get either of those commands to run

:sigh: - With most manufacturers' devices you get either 'Wireless' or '802.11' in the lspci line for a wireless device (seems logical), but not Belkin it seems. Who call a wireless device an ethernet device. To keep us on our toes no doubt. :rolleyes:

Anyway....

Belkin Device 701f (rev 20)

It's the 701f ID number that's important. Googling around told me that this was a Realtek chipset. And then I found this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1119015

Which I'd forgotten all about. :p It's a bit dated because both the OP and I were using Intrepid (8.10). Also, my Belkin PCI card has a different identifier (700f), but both the OP's card and mine were using the same driver - rtl8180 - which is what you are probably using. You might want to see what the output of 'lspci -v' is for you - just the Belkin bit.

Which doesn't really get us much further. All I can say is that when I used that card (I don't now), WPA worked OK, but the signal strength was always misreported as being low.

pycoed
March 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Which I'd forgotten all about. :p It's a bit dated because both the OP and I were using Intrepid (8.10). Also, my Belkin PCI card has a different identifier (700f), but both the OP's card and mine were using the same driver - rtl8180 - which is what you are probably using. You might want to see what the output of 'lspci -v' is for you - just the Belkin bit.

Which doesn't really get us much further. All I can say is that when I used that card (I don't now), WPA worked OK, but the signal strength was always misreported as being low.[/QUOTE]

lspci - v returns :-

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Belkin Device 701f (rev 20)
Subsystem: Belkin Device 701f
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: rtl8180
Kernel modules: rtl8180

So - it looks like it IS rtl8180.

Cheers!