PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which forum ?

dudumomo
March 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone
I would like to host a forum on my machine, but I don't know which one should I use.

I would like an OpenSource one, and easy to configure.
It won't be a big forum anyway.

Any recommandation ?

Thanks

new_tolinux
March 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
In the past I used phpBB.

If I would setup a forum again, it would be the first forum I check out.

Xipher
March 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've found PHPBB is fairly easy to get started with. Ars Technica recently migrated their forums over to it actually and the 3.X release is pretty solid.

R.Bucky
March 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
bb-press forums integrate with Wordpress if you want users to have a single sign-on. Also, Vanilla forums are great too.

stlsaint
March 29th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Vanilla forums are lightweight and fast but i prefer phpbb as its what i use. Not quite as lightweight but it has a nice admin board and user options.

dudumomo
March 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Okay thank you
I will have a try with phpBB

waloshin
March 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I advise you to use Smf as it's alot more secure then Phpbb.

foxmulder881
March 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM
For ease of use and easy to maintain and admin, I'd stick with phpBB. I've managed several of them before, all version 2.x of course, but I do hear that version 3.x are very solid.

dudumomo
March 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I already know smf as the forum of my "crunching" Linux team use SMF.
But this one is not 100% free. So I rather prefer not to use it, particularly when I see a lot of great 100%free forum.

ICEB3AR
March 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I use phpBB for about 2 years now and I'm pretty fine with it. There were nearly no issues in the whole time and it's good and easy to configure - to my mind. I've tried smf some years ago and it didn't convinced me.

You should install not too many mods, because if you would like to update it, it can become very hard to safe the data and set up a new version when the automatically updater fails. I say this, because i have installed many mods in the board and the automatically updater works fine most of the times. just ones i had to update manually. But don't frighten of this. I found PhpBB pretty fine and very stable and it is licensed under GnuGPL

Bachstelze
March 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I advise you to use Smf as it's alot more secure then Phpbb.

[citation needed]

Also SMF is not Open Source.

waloshin
March 31st, 2010, 07:35 AM
I already know smf as the forum of my "crunching" Linux team use SMF.
But this one is not 100% free. So I rather prefer not to use it, particularly when I see a lot of great 100%free forum.

Smf is 100% free it may not be opensource, but you don't have to pay.

http://www.simplemachines.org/site_images/smf_biglogo2.png?x

Downloadable from their website FREE: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php

dudumomo
March 31st, 2010, 07:57 AM
Raah.. I wasn't talking about free as "without cost", but free as "freedom".

waloshin
March 31st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Raah.. I wasn't talking about free as "without cost", but free as "freedom".

There are a ton of packages you can download, and if you know what your doing you could modify quite a bit.