PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing IP???

volatilepyro
March 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
So I've been looking for a few days, out of curiosity, to see if there is anyway to setup a static IP on ubuntu 9.10. I haven't found anything yet. Well at least not anything on how to do it for a wireless connection. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this???

chili555
March 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I guess I have an idea. I am posting from it now. I think you can do it in Network Manager by right-clicking the icon and editing wireless and IPv4 settings to specify manual connection as per the attached. Add your details.

If you want to remove Network manager, you can edit /etc/netwrork/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-essid your_router
wireless-key 0123456789The details are a bit more complex for WPA, but not bad.

volatilepyro
March 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM
All right well the only problem with just making it automatic and stuff is I'm using a laptop and use it in various places so I need to be able to connect to any network which makes network manager really useful.

Iowan
March 30th, 2010, 03:51 AM
You should be able to build another Network Manager connection with a static address. The trick might be when to connect DHCP, and when to connect static. You can disable (uncheck) the "connect automatically" option for all connections, then pick the one you want.

volatilepyro
March 31st, 2010, 05:26 AM
You should be able to build another Network Manager connection with a static address. The trick might be when to connect DHCP, and when to connect static. You can disable (uncheck) the "connect automatically" option for all connections, then pick the one you want.
That sounds perfect!!! ....now then, how do I do that???

Iowan
March 31st, 2010, 10:51 PM
@herry.james:

# Please refrain from using "leet" speak or slang.
# Please do not shorten your words to acronyms or abbreviations. It is very difficult to read and understand. The MAC address is supposed to be fixed (though that can be changed, too), but IP addresses are frequently changed - the D(ynamic) in DHCP.

volatilepyro:
My Karmic box got converted to Lucid last weekend - so I'll try to mix/match between Hardy and Lucid. Check ifconfig -a to get MAC address - you'll need it next. Right-click Network Manager Applet and choose Edit Connections. You should have an option to Add... - select that and fill in information - IPv4 Settings tab will let you manually configure IP address, etc. Remember to uncheck the "Connect automatically" box. You'll need to edit "Auto eth0" (or whatever it's called) to uncheck the "Connect automatically" box there, too.

You'll want to restart Network Manager (or reboot to re-sync everything).

volatilepyro
April 2nd, 2010, 02:01 AM
@herry.james:
The MAC address is supposed to be fixed (though that can be changed, too), but IP addresses are frequently changed - the D(ynamic) in DHCP.

volatilepyro:
My Karmic box got converted to Lucid last weekend - so I'll try to mix/match between Hardy and Lucid. Check ifconfig -a to get MAC address - you'll need it next. Right-click Network Manager Applet and choose Edit Connections. You should have an option to Add... - select that and fill in information - IPv4 Settings tab will let you manually configure IP address, etc. Remember to uncheck the "Connect automatically" box. You'll need to edit "Auto eth0" (or whatever it's called) to uncheck the "Connect automatically" box there, too.

You'll want to restart Network Manager (or reboot to re-sync everything).
I don't really understand how that will help me. I don't really understand it I guess.

Iowan
April 2nd, 2010, 02:51 AM
Which part? (Maybe I'm the one who's confused...)