PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sun Grid Engine Qmon Crash error?

jxzz
March 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Are there any people successfully running SGE in latest Ubuntu desktop 9.10 package?

I got several old PCs and want to install SGE to do bioinformatics scientific research. All my Ubuntu machines are updated to latest patches of security/recommended patches of 9.10 version.

I installed SGE from Synaptic and everything with default configuration. However, qmon can not be loaded. The error message was reported earlier in the forum but was never got fixed. Here is error after running "sudo qmon" with crash:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*--14-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*--14-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*--20-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*--12-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*--24-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*--14-*-*-*-m-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-courier-bold-r-*--14-*-*-*-m-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*--12-*-*-*-m-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*--10-*-*-*-p-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request: 45 (X_OpenFont)
Serial number of failed request: 665
Current serial number in output stream: 676

I re-installed xfonts-base, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-100dpi with no luck. It appears that Ubuntu does not have above fonts.

Without qmon, I could not configure SGE to work. I searched over Google, and the Ubuntu forum with no solution either.

solar sailer
July 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
jxzz,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I receive an identical error while starting qmon on Natty Server. It appears xfonts-75dpi includes the correct fonts, but X cannot resolve them. The fonts are present in /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi.

I created an xorg.conf in /etc/X11 as follows:

Section "Files"

FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"

EndSection

This was unsuccessful. Any ideas?

Thanks!

solar sailer
July 6th, 2011, 08:29 PM
In the majority of qmon documentation I've seen, qmon is run remotely by forwarding X across ssh.

I was able to start qmon over ssh without errors
using puTTY and Xming with Xming-fonts installed.

Windows installers are here:

http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

No luck running qmon locally, but I wouldn't expect GUI to work out-of-the-box on a server distro anyway.

linuxuser42
September 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I guess you miss the packages xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi, like I did.

toontu
September 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Check Section 8.4.1 in this blog: http://webappl.blogspot.com/2011/05/install-sun-grid-engine-sge-on-ubuntu.html

It should do you the job nicely. Good luck.