PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

sgb77
March 28th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Hello all,
I need your advice, I am looking to buy a new asus laptop and I do not want to use Window$ anywhere near my computer. So the question is, should I purchase the asus I am looking which has the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 in it? In my experience ATI and linux are a pain in the butt.. or should I look at a notebook with an nvidia card, since it seems to be more linux friendly, I am using an nvidia gpu in my current system and I love it.

Here are my basic requirements, I need the display not to be too buggy, as far as flickering, trhowing errors for no apparent reason and the like.
I want to be able to change resolution from the ubuntu display configuration tool.
I need to be able to connect my external monitor and use it as an extension of my laptop display.
Would be nice to be able to use compiz, but not requiered.

Please let me know if the ATI/ubuntu combination would accomodate my minimum requirements or if I should just look for a laptop with an Nvidia GPU.

Thanks for any helpful advice in advance..

RedSingularity
March 28th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I, personally, would go with an Nvidia GPU. As you stated it is more "linux friendly" as Nvidia supports linux better than ATI.

sgb77
March 29th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks, but I forgot to mentioned the reason I am really considering an ATI GPU based computer, is that I found this sick laptop with a great price.
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-k52jr-x5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-350m-2-26ghz-4gb-500gb-hdd-802/q/loc/101/213928414.html?adid=17580 (http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-k52jr-x5-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-350m-2-26ghz-4gb-500gb-hdd-802/q/loc/101/213928414.html?adid=17580#media)

Can you guys suggest any laptops out there that is comparable to this computer with an Nvidia video card.

Thanks all..

Mark Phelps
March 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Laptops generally don't come with video cards; they come with video chips already mounted in the motherboard. AMD/ATI sell their chips to lots of OEM laptop manufacturers, so many of the laptops have either ATI or Intel video chips.

Haven't seen any laptops with Nvidia chips. Think you'll have a tough time finding them.

realzippy
March 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Haven't seen any laptops with Nvidia chips

Ehm,this cannot be true.... ;-)

There many laptops with NVIDIA graphics;they normally are more expensive than ATI/Intel,but:

3D runs great on NVIDIA;you can run all eyecandy.If you really do not need fast 3D acceleration,grab an ATI/Intel.

Mark Phelps
March 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Haven't seen any laptops with Nvidia chips

Ehm,this cannot be true.... ;-)

OK, then, which ones have YOU seen -- with Nvidia chipsets!!

phidia
April 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM
which ones have YOU seen -- with Nvidia chipsets!!

Just about every laptop maker has nvidia graphics in one of their model lines-I have nvidia (mobile series) in the HP pavilion I'm typing this on. It's a nvidia geforce 7150M to be specific but the idea that somehow there are no nividia gpus in laptops is in error big time. Yes laptops don't usually have separate cards-some have integrated graphics some have discrete (integrated uses main memory whereas discrete has it's own memory) Also the chipset is not the same as the gpu-I know this thread is several weeks old now but I needed to obsessively point this out.
And I have been seeing the specific ati gpu the OP asked about-which is how I got to this thread-from a google search. I wish there was more info on the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and linux compatibility-but from what I've seen the 5xxx series isn't supported in linux. Nvidia continues to be the choice in both desktops and laptops.

cascade9
April 24th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Just about every laptop maker has nvidia graphics in one of their model lines-I have nvidia (mobile series) in the HP pavilion I'm typing this on. It's a nvidia geforce 7150M to be specific but the idea that somehow there are no nividia gpus in laptops is in error big time. Yes laptops don't usually have separate cards-some have integrated graphics some have discrete (integrated uses main memory whereas discrete has it's own memory) Also the chipset is not the same as the gpu-I know this thread is several weeks old now but I needed to obsessively point this out.

There are also some laptops that have add on cards as well (upgradable pretty much like desktop cards, just a different form factor)...prety rare, but there are out there.

And I have been seeing the specific ati gpu the OP asked about-which is how I got to this thread-from a google search. I wish there was more info on the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and linux compatibility-but from what I've seen the 5xxx series isn't supported in linux. Nvidia continues to be the choice in both desktops and laptops.

The 5xxx series cards have had (basic) linux support since late 2009, and as far as I know the drivers are quite good now.

I dont see any drivers for the mobility series 5xxx cards on ATIs site though. Pity...nvidia is really dropping the ball on laptop GPU support now (see the nVidia GT3xx, with no support for linux at all, even though they are just rebadged GT2xx cards)

Temüjin
April 25th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I would get an nvidia chip, especially if I wanted video playback.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146719

guraknugen
August 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM

I have an old Packard Bell Easy Note (made in november 2006) with NVidia Go 7300 or something like that.

Anyway, has anyone here tried the Radeon HD 5470 with Ubuntu? I also want to know, since I saw a nice laptop with it. To me it is important that it works with Compiz Fusion.

zacharias-pt
March 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM
well i dont know if this is off topic, but i have this machine here http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/aa/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-4247575-5039155.html
and i can't seem to install ubuntu throug live cd. after first screen the screen just goes pitch black and cd keeps looping.
is it because the switchable graphics? how do i cope with this being such a noob on ubuntu and really wanting to install it?
kudos

sebuttan
April 23rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
I also want a driver for ATI mobility radeon HD 5470

luka83
July 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
With ati it's always a gamble. Because their support is non existent and a wile back it seemed that they were putting some effort into linux drivers but all of that is in the past since many good developers left ati. So we're back to pointless one month driver release cycles that don't really improve anything and the only change that I see is a change in a version number.

Ati mobility HD5470 is one of the least linux friendly pieces of scrap metal. Even installing linux with such a card present is a bitch. Proprietary drivers are a must, but don't expect anything more then desktop effects, any kind of fullscreen opengl game or xbmc will immediately crash and I have no reason to expect ati to fix this, as I don't think they have sufficient competence to do so.

Get Nvidia and save yourself a world of pain.