PDA

View Full Version : Samba: Unable to mount location - can't connect to Vista PC

woodyg
March 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi,
I have noticed that I am not the first one to have problems with samba and connecting to a Windows PC. I have read so many articles and I have tried a couple of things that seemed to make sense, but no luck.

I can connect from my Vista to my Ubuntu netbook remix, but not the other way around. I get the error message: "Unable to mount location", "failed to mount windows share" and I get "mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory" in Smb4K.

There was a suggestion (http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.networking/2006-10/msg00629.html) that "mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory" indicated it was a problem originating in Vista, but the added registry values on my Vista PC that was suggested didn't change anything. I have also read and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149 and implemented 3.1 and 3.2 but it made no difference either.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I don't know too much about too technical things, so I don't really know how to procede from here...

Morbius1
March 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
"mount error 12 = Cannot allocate memory"

That's a Windows problem based on my notes. Also according to my notes ( this is from Win2K days btw ) the "fix" for me was restarting the "Server" service on Windows. Have you tried that?

woodyg
March 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
restarting the "Server" service on Windows.

I don't know what it means. What am I supposed to do?

Morbius1
March 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
On Vista: Right click (My)Computer > select Manage > expand "Services and Applications" in the left pane to get access to Services.

When you're in there right click "Server" and select restart

woodyg
March 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM
On Vista: Right click (My)Computer > select Manage > expand "Services and Applications" in the left pane to get access to Services.

When you're in there right click "Server" and select restart

I did this and it makes no difference. I still cannot connect. I get the same error message...