PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What would I need to set up push email?

Maheriano
March 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have a domain hosted with some remote host where I pay $10 a month and they provide me with, among other things, a bunch of email addresses. One of these addresses is my default address I use for everything and is blackberry@mydomain.com. I no longer have a Blackberry, I switched over to a HTC Hero with Google Android so I'm wondering how I could get that email address pushing emails out to my phone. Android supports Exchange but the licenses are too expensive for me. Is there an Ubuntu alternative to make this work somehow?

fang0654
March 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM
You either need to settle with an imap setup with your phone, or get hosted email with something that will work with ActiveSync, such as Zimbra. Another option is gmail, which I believe works as push with Android.

From what I've found, on Android you can also use a mail client called K-9 Client, which using imap, is almost as fast as push.

Maheriano
March 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
You either need to settle with an imap setup with your phone, or get hosted email with something that will work with ActiveSync, such as Zimbra. Another option is gmail, which I believe works as push with Android.

From what I've found, on Android you can also use a mail client called K-9 Client, which using imap, is almost as fast as push.

Wow, this K-9 works very well, thanks!