View Full Version : Announcing USBuntu - Ubuntu on a USB Stick

March 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM
We've engineered a bootable USB Pen drive with the entire contents of Ubuntu 5.10 Live. Now you can take Ubuntu with you on the go! The USB key has on-chip hardware and some software changes to make the USB device boot on a large variety of BIOSes.
Works with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 (booting on USB 2.0 is about 10X faster than USB1.1).

Here is the URL:

Please let us know what you think!

March 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Thats crazy! does this mean I can walk into an internet cafe and boot from this thing, have everything pre-configured and not pay for my net cafe session?

March 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thats crazy! does this mean I can walk into an internet cafe and boot from this thing, have everything pre-configured and not pay for my net cafe session?
Depends on how they set up their network.

March 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
You should be able to boot on any system that supports USB flash booting. Whether your internet cafe will return a valid DHCP address depends on how they setup their router.....

April 1st, 2006, 03:27 AM
Is there any place I can just download the software and put it on the flash drive I already have?

April 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM
is it legal to charge for ubuntu on anything?

May 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
it would be legal, i think, IF they are only charging for the USB stick itself and not the software contained on it

May 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
perfectly legal to charge for ubuntu ... no royalties necessary either. nothing at all to stop you from burning a bunch of ubuntu cd's and selling 'em on ebay (in fact people do) it's been discussed many times. tried to find one of the threads, but i couldn't quickly.

April 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
This link is no longer valid.

May 2nd, 2007, 03:19 AM

....but doesn't the license say that you have to make the source available, even for derivative works?

May 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Anyway it looks great. It supports my printer out of the box.

HP all-in-one printer/scanner devices are supported out of the box

May 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Their price for this isn't too bad, even if you were just looking for the flash drive only.

You can easily do this yourself though with your own existing Flash Drive...

That's just one example, Google search "Install Linux on a Flash Drive" for about a thousand other instructions on how to do this. It's pretty much just a matter of running the Ubuntu install CD and telling it to install to the flash drive instead of the hard drive like you normally would do.

As far as the other question about using this on a public access computer somewhere, your probably going to find it will not work. The public computer will certainly have the first boot device set to be either the local Hard Drive, or server if it's just a terminal. I've never seen a public computer with anyone running it stupid enough to not password protect access to the BIOS settings where you would need to access in order to change the boot device and make USB the first option instead of the local hard Drive.

May 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Wow, thats awesome!

May 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM
That is really slick isn't it?

All the advantages of being able to run Ubuntu from the bootable CD, but you can write to it this way and your changes are saved. You can literally carry your entire computer around in your pocket and just boot into it when ever and where ever you need to like at a friends house or anything else where another computer is available.

Try doing that with Windows Vista.

June 1st, 2007, 03:56 AM
I already have a flashdrive and those steps are kinda too hard for me, so i was wondering if there was a way to just be able to dl it to a flashdrive already and then once i plug drive in it starts booting up?

June 23rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
Ubuntu 5?!

June 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
The sites says its Feisty now.

I don't know why anyone would do this, though. Could make your own for under $10.

November 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I could see a Live usb as sellable but really it is easy to install to usb!