PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Connecting TO Vista FROM Ubuntu remotely(Vinagre)

n2o-Gr55
March 26th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Hi, i have been struggling with setting up a VNC connection between my Ubuntu laptop and my Vista desktop. I am trying to remotely access the Vista desktop using my Ubuntu laptop. I have forwarded port 5900 to my Vista desktop, and attempted connecting to (VistaLocalAddress):5900 using Vinagre. Sadly enough, it instantly returns "Connection Closed."

I have tried setting up some sort of remote access in a similar manner about 3 times in the past, finally i just made a forum account and created this thread in a plea for help. Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I forgot to mention that the Vista desktop has allow remote connections ENABLED.

Thanks,
n2o-Gr55

spyrule
March 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I use TightVNC to connect between my Windows and Linux computers. All you have to do is install TightVNC desktop on your Ubuntu machine, and TightVNC server on you Windows machine and you should be able to connect without a problem.

You can get TightVNC (for free) from:

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

spyrule
March 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
You can, though, just install TightVNC Server onto the Windows machine and make sure the port to connect through is 5900... It works fine too. I just tried it.

n2o-Gr55
March 26th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Connecting to Vista successful after installation of TightVNC. Thank you greatly.

n2o-Althalus