PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] correct SAMBA permissions do not apply when connected to the server by typing IP

rockercya
March 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hi

i have configured a SAMBA server and it is in a windows domain, the server is configured to authenticate users from the AD, the server is named as linuxsvr and the ip address is 10.10.168.173 ,

my problem is when a user is accessed the server with the server name which is \\linuxsvr (file://\\linuxsvr) they can access the shares and the correct permissions are applied ,

but if someone access the server by typing the ip address \\10.10.168.173 (file://\\10.10.168.173) it gives access denied errors even if the users have read and write permissions to the samba shares, the correct permissons do not apply when connected by typing the ip address.

why this hapens?? anyone can help??

regards

chamara

byStanderone
March 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM
...are you in dhcp?

rockercya
March 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
HI

no , we do not have a DHCP server, all the ip addresses are configured manually

regards

chamara

byStanderone
March 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM
...i see, was thinking the problem is dhcp related but since you are not in dhcp, hard to say what the problem is from this point.

rockercya
March 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM
could this be a bug in the server version?

regards

chamara

amp_man
March 26th, 2010, 06:00 AM
could this be a bug in the server version?

regards

chamara

What version are you running? Might be helpful.

I'm by no means an AD expert, never had any reason to use it. I'm thinking though AD might be configured to lookup the permissions based on hostname. Try adding "10.10.168.173 linuxsvr" to /etc/hosts. No guarantees it will work, or that it won't completely fubar the network for a few minutes...

rockercya
March 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
hi

im using ubuntu server 9.10, when you say host file do you mean host
file in windows xp?

regards

chamara