PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Am I the Only One Without Issues With Karmic?

JDorfler
March 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Ok, I don't know if I have just run into every problem under the sun already and know what to do to fix them, but am I the only one here that has had no problems with Karmic. If you look at my hardware, you will see that I have a pretty up to date machine. I did have to manually install the proprietary drivers from ATI, but I did it without a problem. I did have to go into alsamixer to enable my sound on my Xtremegamer X-fi, but it didn't hurt. Heck, I have Karmic running on my Athlon Neo Netbook without one issue.

So, my question is, since I have read quite frequently on these forums of late is that Karmic is the Vista of Ubuntu and to stick with Jaunty, am I the only one without any problems? Seriously, I haven't had one issue I couldn't solve quickly and without problems. In fact this is the first version of Ubuntu where I didn't have as many issues to fix as I normally do for out of the box love and support.

What exactly makes this version the Vista of Ubuntu?

DevHead
March 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
I didn't have any issues with Hardy, Jaunty or Karmic (fingers crossed for Lucid).

2hot6ft2
March 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
+1
The only problems I've had are ones I created myself and I can't think of one. Karmic has performed beautifully. I never used Juanty I went from 8.10 to 9.10

Why people say it's like vista is most likely that they are windows users, and since they don't take the time to learn, they complain, and they use windows as a comparison, and vista is the worst that they know of, so that's their example.

I don't hate windows. I just like ubuntu more (much more).

bluelamp999
March 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Karmic has been by far the best release in my personal experience.

Everything 'just worked' and very stable.

doas777
March 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM
I didn't have any real issues with karmic at release, though a good number of bizarre tiny ones came up a couple months ago (mostly pertaining to the mouse, suprisingly). I also noticed simmilar issues going on with my jaunty boxes as well at the same time, so I think it;s related to the rapid file kernel updates we've been getting recently. for a few weeks there i was really worried. had to reboot more to accomplish less than I ever have in ubuntu.

now both my karmic and jaunty systems are back to running smoothly.

Recently I've been having a heck of a time with the ATI proprietary drivers, but other than that, it';s been pretty smooth.

OGpmpdog
March 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hello All,

I started my Ubuntu experience with Intrepid Ibex; Karmic is superior, even if it's only 1 year after Ibex.

With Ibex, I got the gray-screened system freeze more than I liked...sometimes, it would be more than 30 seconds before the system restored.

With Karmic, I've gotten 3 freezes - each one has been less than 3 seconds.

I did have sound issues when I first installed karmic, which were resolved in 10 minutes.

I screwed up the grub 2 bootloader, but, thanks to Ubuntu forums, Grub2 was fixed with 2 command lines...

My machine, which started to slowdown in BS Sheetsa, is a couple of years old...I installed Ibex and my PC worked like new!

I still cant believe how much better karmic is than ibex...guess I've been one of the lucky ones...

Karmic is truly a cutting-edge OS...I will never go back to Windoze.

Can't wait for the Lucid Stable release, as Beta is not quite ready for everyday use...

Greenwidth
March 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
So, my question is, since I have read quite frequently on these forums of late is that Karmic is the Vista of Ubuntu

I think it's useful to bear in mind that a lot people only come to this forum if they have a problem, and as such are not a balanced representation of Ubuntu users.

linux4me
March 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
@JDorfler: Yes, you are the only one. :)

I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper, and have only had problems significant enough to revert to a previous version twice. One was with Karmic. I did a clean install and everything worked out of the box, but I had random kernel-panic freezes that I wasn't able to resolve. Since they occurred on my work machine and resulted in me losing work every time they happened, I didn't have the luxury of spending a lot of time troubleshooting, so I reverted to Jaunty which runs flawlessly.

I was tempted to try Karmic again after it had been out for a few months, but I never did. Kernel panics are no fun. I'm looking forward to trying Lucid, though. Problems with a couple of distros in all the years I've used Ubuntu haven't soured me on it at all.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare Karmic to Vista. My worst day using Ubuntu is still better than my best day using Winblow$.

AlanR8
March 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Used Karmic from Alpha 3 onwards with NO problems. IMHO, best release yet......until

Installed Lucid from Alpha 2. Works great and is better than Karmic IMHO (again).

I use Lucid on my "production" machines with no fear because of GMail and DropBox. All my important stuff is backed up remotely so I can do a full re-install without thinking of data loss.

quids
March 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
This is my first time with Ubuntu. I first installed Karmic on my ancient laptop after getting fed up with a 20+ min boot up time for XP. Had a few problems with the old hardware, but got going in the end.
I liked Karmic so much that I put it on my desktop computer, which is only a couple of years old. Made a couple of stupid newbie mistakes, but it all worked without any problems.

I'll certainly be staying with Ubuntu.

wojox
March 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I think it's useful to bear in mind that a lot people only come to this forum if they have a problem, and as such are not a balanced representation of Ubuntu users.

This is what I was thinking as well.

mkvnmtr
March 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have stayed with 9.04 on my main install only because it is all set up and working great. I have 9.10 installed on the same disk for my son to use and have an install in virtual box. No problems, it seems just as good as 9,04.
I have made six trys to install 10.04 and have failed to keep it running after I installed the guest additions in virtual box. I try every week or so so I am sure one of these times it will work.Seems fine until I try to restart after the guest additions install and I can not even get to a terminal.

Calash
March 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I have had no issues that I did not cause myself. I do cause a bunch myself but that is me compiling drivers and apps....stuff well beyond average use.

My work computer is running 9.10 x64 and has had no major issues. Some odd issues getting outside the proxy server for some updates but that is to be expected in a corporate environment.

Cavsfan
March 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have only had one problem: the PC doesn't go into a sleep state like Jaunty did.
9.04 worked great in every aspect, but Karmic will not stop the fans from running, etc.

I was thinking about going back to Jaunty until Lucid is released.
I heard that Lucid goes to sleep just fine and would like to get a copy of it, but every time I try, it says the server is down.

I do like my PC to sleep when not in use.

And I do appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into these great operating systems! :p

(Edit: I am downloading Lucid right now and will install it after some "house cleaning". But, Karmic is superb except for the sleep issue.)

kansasnoob
March 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Karmic's X doesn't play well with my super common P4M800 GPU. Many people had trouble with Karmic's X.

What's your point?

"Uh, I had no problems, so are the rest of you just morons or what?"

And shouldn't this be in "Testimonials & Experiences"?

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Feels a bit to me like rubbing salt in an open wound ;)

uRock
March 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think the biggest reason there are more "I hate Karmic" threads than the "Karmic is awesome" threads, because most of the happy people feel no need to post.

I have had no problems with any version of Ubuntu on my systems.(That weren't operator error.)

coffeecat
March 23rd, 2010, 12:34 AM
Am I the Only One Without Issues With Karmic?

No. Two laptops, two desktops = four Karmic installations running just fine.

bowens44
March 23rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
No, you are not.

xhalarin
March 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
+1
The only problems I've had are ones I created myself and I can't think of one. Karmic has performed beautifully. I never used Juanty I went from 8.10 to 9.10

Ditto here. If I just left my system alone it would be close to trouble free. I'm running a usb drive and plug it into many different sets of hardware though. The fact that it is able to run flawlessly on many varied sets of hardware says a lot about its quality in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of doing that with Windows.