PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.04 goes straight to terminal............?

beerock
March 21st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hello,

I usually get pretty lucky searching these forums but this time im lost.... I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and on the first boot after prompted restart the system opens a terminal.... i am very new to all of this so do not know what it wants me to type. I did try exit and it went to the new purple desktop with login options for me or guest,.. logged in by entering my password and straight back to terminal. Please help! I was excited now i am worried....lol

Thanks in advance..

beerock
March 22nd, 2010, 01:54 AM
does anyone have any idea what went wrong? or what i should do now?

fremantle
March 22nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
YESS!!! thats exactly what happened to me with alpha 3. it booted up normally and logged in for first 2-3 boots but on the 4th boot it went straight to the terminal on boot screen. first it asks for my username and password and then just goes terminal. i dont know any commad to get into my session....stuck......had to go back to 9.10 again...anyone have a solution for us?

beerock
March 22nd, 2010, 02:17 AM
YESS!!! thats exactly what happened to me with alpha 3. it booted up normally and logged in for first 2-3 boots but on the 4th boot it went straight to the terminal on boot screen. first it asks for my username and password and then just goes terminal. i dont know any commad to get into my session....stuck......had to go back to 9.10 again...anyone have a solution for us?

so u lost wht you had before the upgrade and just reloaded karmic?

vayira
March 22nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
10.04 is still in beta isn't it?

Here http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1

It says
Reporting bugs

It should come as no surprise that this beta release of Lucid Lynx contains other bugs. Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve future releases. Please report bugs using the tools provided. (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs)

If you want to help out with bugs, the Bug Squad is always looking for help.

fremantle
March 22nd, 2010, 02:21 AM
so u lost wht you had before the upgrade and just reloaded karmic?
no, i did not lose it. my entire system is in there but i cant log in to it (log in to my session). between me and my desktop is the terminal screen which i cant get rid of.

vayira
March 22nd, 2010, 02:28 AM
between me and my desktop is the terminal screen which i cant get rid of.

what happens when you try to log on in the terminal? using your username & password.

zengeos
March 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
I had the same problem with Alpha 3 after I let the Synaptic Upgrade Manager do the upgrades suggested the day AFTER I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04A3.

I simply downloaded 10.04 beta 1 and installed it over the existing installation, without formatting.

I DID lose a few programs, and I no longer have a mixer in my gnome panel, but otherwise it's working great again.
No loss of my documents though.

Boot time seems to have further improved over the alpha 3 upgrade.

I will likely go back and do a fresh install of 10.04 beta next beta release, just to start fresh.

beerock
March 22nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
what happens when you try to log on in the terminal? using your username & password.

10.04 start up with a partial screen so my drivers for video is messed up but this is a first boot.. all i have access to is a terminal logged in as user, i can commands but do not know what to run. When i run exit it gives me what i believe to be the login screen similar to osx then after entering password straight back to the terminal and it seems thats all i have access to.

I will seek out the bug patrol and give the info to them thanks for the reply..

fremantle
March 22nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
just this

xxxxx@xxxxx-laptop:~$

zengeos
March 22nd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Yes, it did that for me also. I even tried running in *safe* mode to no luck.

Couldn't get the desktop to load at all after the tty1 login

beerock
March 22nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Yes, it did that for me also. I even tried running in *safe* mode to no luck.

Couldn't get the desktop to load at all after the tty1 login

Well I gave up, but not on 10.4, burned the iso and loading it up right now, just decided to use windows and delete the linux partition and let the 10.04 install disk do the rest hopefully I dont make matters worse. ;)

thanks for all the help!