PDA

View Full Version : Whats new in ubuntu 10.04?

Usabent
March 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
The release date is getting near every day. I dont want to install The alpha to be safe. I just want to know whats gonna be new?

themarker0
March 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
The release date is getting near every day. I dont want to install The alpha to be safe. I just want to know whats gonna be new?

New skin. No gimp, two biggest things i've heard. Also its in Beta1 now.

Post Monkeh
March 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
the most important thing in the history of ever is happening - the window buttons are being mved

Jesus_Valdez
March 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
upstart, ureadhaded, the thing at the beginning who name I forget, graphic drivers, new branding, a "social" applet (gwibber powered) and a manual.

EDIT. Check this sub-forum http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377&order=desc&page=3

mikecanada
March 21st, 2010, 09:42 PM
I got the pre release for one reason,so my Sierra Wireless 306 might work.

And it does! Looks better, Ubuntu Software Center sits were Add / Remove was,Music Store coming.Just glad the internet stick worked so easy.

Cheers Mike

Usabent
March 21st, 2010, 09:47 PM
im Probably thinking of a guide i should make for new ubuntu users and stuff. I just want to know where in the fourms i can share it?

tica vun
March 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
New skin. No gimp, two biggest things i've heard. Also its in Beta1 now.

this is wrong

i have upgrade from 9.10 too 10.04beta and still has gimp

Usabent
March 21st, 2010, 09:51 PM
this is wrong

It migth be becuase its still in development. After its final release it shouldnt have gimp anymore. Seriously its the first beta! Mabey on rc it will be gone

tica vun
March 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
this doesn"t make sense why, too remove a program many people usefull, it"s not like, it"s cost"s anything to keep it in 10.04

FuturePilot
March 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
this is wrong

If you upgraded it will not be removed. It will still be there since you already had it installed. On fresh installs it is not installed by default.

Seano911
March 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
does anyone know if it's possible to add the MeMenu into Karmic? Been googling it for awhile, but nothing.

oldos2er
March 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
I just want to know whats gonna be new?

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1#New%20features%20since%20Ubuntu%209.10

kaldor
March 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Is audio going to be better/fixed? Does anyone have a source for that?

aviedw
March 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
I just hope its not bloated. And I also hope that it has improved
Ati support. I don't think I'm going to upgrade. For what ever
reason I always have trouble with the 04 release and also have far
less trouble with the 10 release. If they decide not to change the
boot screen or any other that features at least they can leave the
option open for us. :)

Usabent
March 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
Hopefully there will be ATI Fixes and many ubuntu fixes. I'm Very impressed how ubuntu has very good quailty sound better than hd! I wanna continue what will be new and what we are expecting:D

23meg
March 22nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1

JC Cheloven
March 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM
To name a few:

No Gimp (nothing instead)
No Xsane (simpler program instead)
Improved nautilus (bi-panel alla midnight commander, very handy)
Eliminated most of the games (some remain)
Included Pitivi Video Editor
Instant messaging and social network programs included
Very improved iPod support

...and counting :-)

zengeos
March 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Here's what I've noticed in 10.04 vs 9.10

Wireless is WAY more stable. In 9.10 and 9.04 I had poor signal strength and it would disconnect frequently. In 10.04 wireless networking is rock steady with signal strength around 60-85% vs 14-40%

Boot times have significantly decreased...30% faster bootup if not better.

Memory use seems to have decreased as well by around 30%

The overall Ubuntu experience seems to be more refined and more responsive.

So, for me, it's not all the additions or removal of applications and features so much as a much improved overall experience.

seenthelite
March 22nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
I have installed 10.04,and also have 9.10 on the same box,and the thing that is new is better hardware support out of the box. In 9.10 at the beginning I had no wireless,no wired, problems with Nvidia drivers and no suspend or resume from suspend. Also problems with cd/dvd drive. All of these things are working on 10.04.
When 9.10 was released I noticed many,many postings about the Software Centre I think most of those people should be happy with the new one.
This is a good OS imo.

Mysticyx
April 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Help! The buttons to close, maximize and minimize have moved to the wrong (as in, not right) side of the windows. It takes way to long to change them back.

This helped me (although it was meant the other way around):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/put-closemaximizeminimize-buttons-on-the-left-in-ubuntu/

I don't like the choice Mark made, but I'd forgive him if it was easy to change back. Which means, if there was a button for it in the menu (for example in System - Preferences - Windows).

linuxman94
April 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Help! The buttons to close, maximize and minimize have moved to the wrong (as in, not right) side of the windows. It takes way to long to change them back.

This helped me (although it was meant the other way around):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/put-closemaximizeminimize-buttons-on-the-left-in-ubuntu/

I don't like the choice Mark made, but I'd forgive him if it was easy to change back. Which means, if there was a button for it in the menu (for example in System - Preferences - Windows).

You can use this GUI python script to easily change the layout of the buttons.

Instructions and download (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/easy-gui-window-button-switcher-for.html)

Locke_99GS
April 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Ubuntu Tweek also allows re-ordering of the buttons in the title-bar.