PDA

View Full Version : Cannot check mail in Evolution after upgrade from Karmic

Jonie
March 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM
In fact I can, but only if I start Evolution from Applications menu. If I click the envelope icon, it starts evolution --component=mail and hangs while checking mail

sigixv
March 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM
+1

grandtoubab
March 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
No problem for me.
Did you check if Evolution is still your prefered mail application??
System-> Preferences ->

sigixv
March 25th, 2010, 07:52 PM
jup, it is selected there

sigixv
March 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
edit: evolution hangs after a while even with the method of using the menu to start it

philinux
March 26th, 2010, 03:07 PM
@all

Start it from the terminal, see if any errors spit out.

evolution --component=mail

sigixv
March 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
wim@toshiba:~$ evolution --component=mail
** (evolution:1396): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution %s
** (evolution:1396): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution

I'll leave it open for a few hours, maybe something will show up when it starts to hang.

sigixv
March 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Segmentatiefout (geheugendump gemaakt)Translates as something like: "Segmentational error. (Performed memory dump)"

This time it didn't hang (or not that i saw happening, it was minimized) and i get a box explaining the error:

Translated:
Application Error
We apologize, the program "evolution" has been closed unsuspectedly.
If you were doing nothing confidential, you might be able to improve the application by reporting the problem.

And then i click to report the button.

Problem in evolution
The problem cannot be reported:

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

base-files, cpp-4.4, gcc-4.4-base, libaspell15, libbluetooth3, libcups2, libdbusmenu-glib1, libdbusmenu-gtk1, libgail18, libgcc1, libglib2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0, libgtk2.0-bin, libgtk2.0-common, libgudev-1.0-0, libstdc++6, libudev0, sensible-utils, shared-mime-info, udev

This is the second time i get this box, both times i was unable to report.
What mostly happens is: auto mailchecking is busy, but doesn't complete. When clicking send/recieve it will tell me whats happening with my 2 mailboxes but it doesn't seem to download. (the number of new mails in the mailbox however is correctly displayed). Apparently if you wait even longer, evolution implodes on itself...
Force quitting renders evolution unusable: the process keeps running and restarting is impossible. When logging out/restarting i am prompted that 1 or 2 processes of evolution are still running.

Edit: for what the packages is concerned, i did a fresh install of lucid with an evolution backup created in karmic. Lucid is fully updated with the update manager.