PDA

View Full Version : [other] Email Password

Irti
March 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Ok i don't really know where to post this thread as this is not concerning ubuntu... This thread is strictly for official purposes... I work in a hospital in the IT Department. The guy working before me registered a domain and space and gave his email id for security and stuff. The problem is that he has since been fired and we decided to change our domain. Now i need the password for the domain. So i called up this guy and asked for the password and he is unwilling to help. When i click on forgot password for the domain it sends the password to this guy's mail. I asked him to check his mail and give me the password and he is totally uncooperative. Is there anyone over here who can tell me if I could get into this guy's mail and retrieve the password. I know this concerns hacking, but i really need to get that password. Our site is registered as a .com and if we cant get the password we wont be able to register as a .com on our new domain and i dont think my boss will be very happy with that. Please if you think you can find an alternative or find me a way to get into this guy's account ...help me out.

CharlesA
March 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Call the hosting provider and deal with them. Tbh, I would not bother harassing a previous employee for a password so that you can use the domain name/web space that they set up.

lisati
March 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
Call the hosting provider and deal with them. Tbh, I would not bother harassing a previous employee for a password so that you can use the domain name/web space that they set up.

+1. The guy with the password has just been fired and might not be in a good space at the moment, and probably won't feel co-operative for a while.

amauk
March 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
do not try to hack into his email
as above, speak to the hosting provider

if he has a grudge against the company and catches you, he could take you to the cleaners.

OpSecShellshock
March 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Who owns the domain? If it's his, then it's his. The hosting provider may or may not choose to tell you anything about it in that case. If the domain belongs to the hospital (which I'd hope) then they might be willing to change out the email address used for official contact. However, it's probably going to have to be someone in a management position who is able to verify their identity in order for the hosting provider to be willing to make any changes. I mean would you stay with that provider if all it took to give over the registration details was a phone call from someone claiming to be the new guy?

So I guess this guy who was let go used his personal email address for official contact rather than an address at the domain itself? Usually when registering a domain for an organization you go with something on that domain with a generic name like "admin@" in order to avoid these things being tied to a specific person. Honestly, if the hospital still has the actual hardware of the web server, and the data, and all of the access to the data, and if the former employee's accounts on the hospital's systems are gone and he can't get at any of it, I would let the domain go before trying to get at the guy's email account.

Really though, there's a time for system administrators and there's a time for lawyers. This is potentially medical data. I'm not sure what the lawyers would do, exactly, but first of all the hospital might be liable for the risk created in giving the web presence over to an individual employee's personal control. So they should know about that anyway. Second, the lawyers might be able to get a feel for what could be pursued in terms of communication either with the former employee or the hosting provider in order to regain control of the site. Either way, though, this is no longer a technological problem, and the responsible thing to do is pass it up the chain of command.

dmizer
March 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
Call the hosting provider and deal with them.

This would be the quickest, best, legal, and correct way to handle the situation.

Thread locked to prevent any further discussion on how to illegally break into someone else's email account.